Feb 18, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
Back in October Bud Selig said this about expanded instant replay for 2013:
“I think we’ll have it for sure. They’re working on cameras in all the ballparks. We need the right cameras. Should we have them by next year? We’d better.”
Apparently installing cameras is hard, because, Joe Torre said today that Major League Baseball will not expand its instant replay system this year:
“Next year, there will be something, for sure,” Torre said. “It’s not like we’re afraid to do something. I don’t want to do something unless we feel like it’s the right thing to do … ”We’re not going to get caught in the trap of doing something if we don’t feel what we’re doing is enough.”
They always say things like this. About it being done the right way, counseling caution and all of that. What they’ve never done is explain what variables are so complex that this sort of thing can’t be hammered out in the space of a few days, installed in a few weeks and shaken down over the course of spring training or simulated games or something. If they started that process back when they started talking about wanting to expand replay — at least two or three years ago — we’d have a system now.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 34
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'