Feb 18, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Most guys get into the BSOHL club by cutting weight. Mariners shortstop prospect Nick Franklin, however, weighed 165 pounds last year. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that because he felt like his small size killed his power, Franklin wants to be 200 pounds by the end of spring training. How’s he doing it? The three C’s: Carrabba’s, Chipotle, and Chick-fil-A:
Franklin starts each morning off with a 1,500-calorie breakfast consisting of six scrambled eggs — yolks included — and a high-caloric protein shake.
By 10:30 a.m., he’ll have another 500-calorie shake and then throw in a 1,500-calorie lunch by noon. At 2 p.m., there’s another 500-calorie shake, a 250-calorie shake at 3 p.m. and then a 500-calorie shake to “hold me over” until a 1,500-calorie dinner.
Say what you want about anabolic steroids, but at least they don’t clog your arteries, dude.
And say what you want about wanting more power, but I’d be pretty cool with a 21 year-old shortstop who has posted a line of .283/.351/.458 in four minor league seasons and would assume that the gap power Franklin tells Baker he’s dissatisfied with would improve with aging. But I suppose as long as Mariners trainers are cool with him pounding down the calories like that it’s cool.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'