Feb 18, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
Most guys get into the BSOHL club by cutting weight. Mariners shortstop prospect Nick Franklin, however, weighed 165 pounds last year. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that because he felt like his small size killed his power, Franklin wants to be 200 pounds by the end of spring training. How’s he doing it? The three C’s: Carrabba’s, Chipotle, and Chick-fil-A:
Franklin starts each morning off with a 1,500-calorie breakfast consisting of six scrambled eggs — yolks included — and a high-caloric protein shake.
By 10:30 a.m., he’ll have another 500-calorie shake and then throw in a 1,500-calorie lunch by noon. At 2 p.m., there’s another 500-calorie shake, a 250-calorie shake at 3 p.m. and then a 500-calorie shake to “hold me over” until a 1,500-calorie dinner.
Say what you want about anabolic steroids, but at least they don’t clog your arteries, dude.
And say what you want about wanting more power, but I’d be pretty cool with a 21 year-old shortstop who has posted a line of .283/.351/.458 in four minor league seasons and would assume that the gap power Franklin tells Baker he’s dissatisfied with would improve with aging. But I suppose as long as Mariners trainers are cool with him pounding down the calories like that it’s cool.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)