Feb 18, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Most guys get into the BSOHL club by cutting weight. Mariners shortstop prospect Nick Franklin, however, weighed 165 pounds last year. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that because he felt like his small size killed his power, Franklin wants to be 200 pounds by the end of spring training. How’s he doing it? The three C’s: Carrabba’s, Chipotle, and Chick-fil-A:
Franklin starts each morning off with a 1,500-calorie breakfast consisting of six scrambled eggs — yolks included — and a high-caloric protein shake.
By 10:30 a.m., he’ll have another 500-calorie shake and then throw in a 1,500-calorie lunch by noon. At 2 p.m., there’s another 500-calorie shake, a 250-calorie shake at 3 p.m. and then a 500-calorie shake to “hold me over” until a 1,500-calorie dinner.
Say what you want about anabolic steroids, but at least they don’t clog your arteries, dude.
And say what you want about wanting more power, but I’d be pretty cool with a 21 year-old shortstop who has posted a line of .283/.351/.458 in four minor league seasons and would assume that the gap power Franklin tells Baker he’s dissatisfied with would improve with aging. But I suppose as long as Mariners trainers are cool with him pounding down the calories like that it’s cool.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)