Feb 18, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Most guys get into the BSOHL club by cutting weight. Mariners shortstop prospect Nick Franklin, however, weighed 165 pounds last year. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that because he felt like his small size killed his power, Franklin wants to be 200 pounds by the end of spring training. How’s he doing it? The three C’s: Carrabba’s, Chipotle, and Chick-fil-A:
Franklin starts each morning off with a 1,500-calorie breakfast consisting of six scrambled eggs — yolks included — and a high-caloric protein shake.
By 10:30 a.m., he’ll have another 500-calorie shake and then throw in a 1,500-calorie lunch by noon. At 2 p.m., there’s another 500-calorie shake, a 250-calorie shake at 3 p.m. and then a 500-calorie shake to “hold me over” until a 1,500-calorie dinner.
Say what you want about anabolic steroids, but at least they don’t clog your arteries, dude.
And say what you want about wanting more power, but I’d be pretty cool with a 21 year-old shortstop who has posted a line of .283/.351/.458 in four minor league seasons and would assume that the gap power Franklin tells Baker he’s dissatisfied with would improve with aging. But I suppose as long as Mariners trainers are cool with him pounding down the calories like that it’s cool.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 1
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 3
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 47
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)