Feb 18, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Most guys get into the BSOHL club by cutting weight. Mariners shortstop prospect Nick Franklin, however, weighed 165 pounds last year. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that because he felt like his small size killed his power, Franklin wants to be 200 pounds by the end of spring training. How’s he doing it? The three C’s: Carrabba’s, Chipotle, and Chick-fil-A:
Franklin starts each morning off with a 1,500-calorie breakfast consisting of six scrambled eggs — yolks included — and a high-caloric protein shake.
By 10:30 a.m., he’ll have another 500-calorie shake and then throw in a 1,500-calorie lunch by noon. At 2 p.m., there’s another 500-calorie shake, a 250-calorie shake at 3 p.m. and then a 500-calorie shake to “hold me over” until a 1,500-calorie dinner.
Say what you want about anabolic steroids, but at least they don’t clog your arteries, dude.
And say what you want about wanting more power, but I’d be pretty cool with a 21 year-old shortstop who has posted a line of .283/.351/.458 in four minor league seasons and would assume that the gap power Franklin tells Baker he’s dissatisfied with would improve with aging. But I suppose as long as Mariners trainers are cool with him pounding down the calories like that it’s cool.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Red Sox center fielder Mookie Betts tracked down a hardly hit ball from White Sox slugger Jose Abreu on Tuesday night but lost it when he fell into the bullpen …
Jul 28, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Martinez was inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sunday.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Hamels would join Dallas Keuchel and Scott Kazmir in an excellent, postseason-ready Astros rotation.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Angels center fielder Mike Trout went 4-for-4 with two homers and five RBI in Sunday’s series finale against the Rangers, but he also suffered a left wrist injury in that game when he tried to make a diving catch …
Jul 28, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
In a span of about 10 minutes the Angels landed two outfielders …
Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This time it’s for both Stanozolol and Boldenone.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
Papelbon owns a sparkling 1.59 ERA and 40/8 K/BB ratio in 39 2/3 innings this season for the Phillies, and he’s 17-for-17 in save opportunities.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Voters who are more than 10 years removed from covering the game will no longer get to vote in Hall of Fame elections
Jul 28, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Hamels threw a no-hitter against Cubs on Saturday.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The Nats may soon have two solid closers.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
And he thinks Carlos Gonzalez is the next one out the door. He’s probably right.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Giants last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:29 PM EDT
Why, I have no idea.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
General manager Dayton Moore is not messing around.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT
Washington or elsewhere?
Jul 28, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Coors Field is powerful, but Tulowitzki is great anywhere.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
He would be a nice addition to the Nats’ pen, but a costly one given his $13 million vesting option.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Swanson was scheduled to join a minor-league team later this week after signing for $6.5 million.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT
He had a right to be angry, but maybe he overdid it a bit?
Jul 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Washington is getting healthier, but still not quite healthy.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 14
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 26
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 68
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)