Feb 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Mat Gamel aggravated his surgically repaired right knee over the weekend, but as of yesterday the Brewers seemed optimistic that it was a minor issue and he could resume workouts as soon as today.
Unfortunately because Gamel has basically the worst luck ever Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that he’s going to miss the entire season.
Gamel tore his ACL in May of last year, costing the former top prospect a chance to establish himself replacing Prince Fielder as the Brewers’ starting first baseman. He hasn’t played since and now this latest setback costs him an opportunity to fill in for Corey Hart, who’s out for a couple months with a knee injury of his own.
Milwaukee will likely look into bringing in some first base help, but more than that this just really stinks for Gamel. His prospect stock had dipped to the point that he no longer projected as a star, but at age 27 even carving out a decent big-league career figures to be tough now.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?