Feb 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Mat Gamel aggravated his surgically repaired right knee over the weekend, but as of yesterday the Brewers seemed optimistic that it was a minor issue and he could resume workouts as soon as today.
Unfortunately because Gamel has basically the worst luck ever Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that he’s going to miss the entire season.
Gamel tore his ACL in May of last year, costing the former top prospect a chance to establish himself replacing Prince Fielder as the Brewers’ starting first baseman. He hasn’t played since and now this latest setback costs him an opportunity to fill in for Corey Hart, who’s out for a couple months with a knee injury of his own.
Milwaukee will likely look into bringing in some first base help, but more than that this just really stinks for Gamel. His prospect stock had dipped to the point that he no longer projected as a star, but at age 27 even carving out a decent big-league career figures to be tough now.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)