Feb 18, 2013, 6:20 PM EST
Matt Garza was hoping to start 2013 on a healthy note after he was shut down last season due to a stress reaction in his throwing elbow, but things might not work out that way.
Garza was 20 pitches into a batting practice session yesterday before he had to cut things short due to a lat strain. According to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com, the Cubs plan to send him for an MRI to get a read on the extent of the injury.
“The good news is his arm felt really strong,” Hoyer said Monday. “He was throwing really well. It’s unfortunate, for sure, and it’s going to set him back a little bit. But we’re still really confident.”
The Cubs obviously didn’t want to take any chances this early in the spring, so the hope is that the injury is minor. However, in the event that he needs to start the season on the disabled list, both Travis Wood and Carlos Villanueva would likely end up with rotation spots.
Garza, 29, had a 3.91 ERA and 96/32 K/BB ratio over 103 2/3 innings last season prior to his elbow injury. He’s owed $10.25 million in 2013 and can become a free agent next offseason.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)