Feb 18, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Mike Pelfrey is just 10 months removed from undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery, but he’s throwing without limitations at Twins camp and told Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com that he expects to be ready for Opening Day:
I’m going to be ready. I guess it’s hard for some people to believe maybe. But I feel great.
Pelfrey has apparently gotten Dr. James Andrews’ blessing to speed up the typical recovery timetable, although obviously he still has some hurdles to clear between now and April.
Pelfrey went under the knife in May of last year, ending a streak of four consecutive seasons in which he started at least 30 games and threw at least 180 innings for the Mets. He signed a one-year, $4 million deal with the Twins, who desperately need rotation help after ranking dead last among AL teams in starter ERA.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)