Feb 18, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Mike Pelfrey is just 10 months removed from undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery, but he’s throwing without limitations at Twins camp and told Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com that he expects to be ready for Opening Day:
I’m going to be ready. I guess it’s hard for some people to believe maybe. But I feel great.
Pelfrey has apparently gotten Dr. James Andrews’ blessing to speed up the typical recovery timetable, although obviously he still has some hurdles to clear between now and April.
Pelfrey went under the knife in May of last year, ending a streak of four consecutive seasons in which he started at least 30 games and threw at least 180 innings for the Mets. He signed a one-year, $4 million deal with the Twins, who desperately need rotation help after ranking dead last among AL teams in starter ERA.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 54
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)