Feb 18, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Aceves made a mockery of John Farrell’s camp on Sunday with his lobbing of the ball into home plate during batting practice. It was the first “incident” from a player in the Farrell era, and it comes as no surprise that Aceves was the culprit. …
Aceves was “talked to” by both Farrell and pitching coach Juan Nieves and eventually started throwing at normal speed, the issue was “addressed” according to Farrell.
Aceves went 2-10 with a 5.36 ERA in 84 innings last season, so it’s not as if the Red Sox are merely putting up with his nonsense because he’s such an amazing player. They’re also paying him $2.65 million after avoiding arbitration with a one-year deal, so the Red Sox knew what they were getting back into when they chose not to trade or non-tender Aceves.
With that said: Ugh.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)