Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Country singer Mindy McCready killed herself yesterday. Roger Clemens, who first met McCready when she was fifteen years-old, has long denied any improper relationship with her, but a detailed report of an affair between the two of them ran in the Daily News back in 2008. McCready confirmed the affair, though she was always vague about how old she was when it began.
Whichever of them you believe, Clemens has released a statement about McCready’s suicide:
“Yes, this is sad news. I had heard over time that she was trying to get peace and direction in her life. The few times that I had met her and her manager/agent they were extremely nice.”
Obviously Mindy McCready was a profoundly damaged set of goods and had been for a long time before her death. She was put on a stage performing in bars when she was a teenager. She was a drug addict who made multiple suicide attempts prior to finally succeeding She was in and out of prison. She was the victim of serious domestic abuse who was trying to raise two children, one of which was the son of her primary domestic abuser, the other a newborn. Her once promising career was in shambles and its highlight in recent years had been exploitative reality TV.
In light of that I won’t say that Roger Clemens bears responsibility for what became of this woman for there were obviously many things which contributed to it. But I likewise can’t say that Roger Clemens, who was 28 when he began, well, whatever it is he began with a 15 year-old Mindy McCready, was a positive influence either. How could he have been?
All of it is just terribly sad.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)