Roger Clemens issued a statement on the suicide of Mindy McCready

Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

Roger Clemens Getty Images

Country singer Mindy McCready killed herself yesterday. Roger Clemens, who first met McCready when she was fifteen years-old, has long denied any improper relationship with her, but a detailed report of an affair between the two of them ran in the Daily News back in 2008. McCready confirmed the affair, though she was always vague about how old she was when it began.

Whichever of them you believe, Clemens has released a statement about McCready’s suicide:

“Yes, this is sad news. I had heard over time that she was trying to get peace and direction in her life. The few times that I had met her and her manager/agent they were extremely nice.”

Obviously Mindy McCready was a profoundly damaged set of goods and had been for a long time before her death. She was put on a stage performing in bars when she was a teenager. She was a drug addict who made multiple suicide attempts prior to finally succeeding  She was in and out of prison. She was the victim of serious domestic abuse who was trying to raise two children, one of which was the son of her primary domestic abuser, the other a newborn. Her once promising career was in shambles and its highlight in recent years had been exploitative reality TV.

In light of that I won’t say that Roger Clemens bears responsibility for what became of this woman for there were obviously many things which contributed to it. But I likewise can’t say that Roger Clemens, who was 28 when he began, well, whatever it is he began with a 15 year-old Mindy McCready, was a positive influence either. How could he have been?

All of it is just terribly sad.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I can’t see how Clemens wasnt a positive influence in this woman’s life, i have always thought he was probably like a father figure to her.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Most girls don’t have sex with their father……oh wait, she was a country singer….

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

When ya leave me
        Walk back’erds
        So I think yore comin’ in….

• polonelmeagrejr - Feb 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Criag, “a profoundly damaged set of goods and had been for a long time” Is that a non-technical way of saying she was suffering from severe long term depresssion.AAnd by the way, I think the correct term is actually “damaged goods”, set , I suppose being implied in the plural “goods.” All of which I guess is a long winded way of saying it was handled the way Dick Stuart used to handle ground ballls.

• polonelmeagrejr - Feb 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Criag, “a profoundly damaged set of goods and had been for a long time” Is that a non-technical way of saying she was suffering from severe long term depresssion? And by the way, I think the correct term is actually “damaged goods”, set , I suppose being implied in the plural “goods.” All of which I guess is a long winded way of saying it was handled the way Dick Stuart used to handle ground ballls.

2. mybrunoblog - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Very sad. Her life sounds like a country music song. Clemens is still a douche bag.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

he’s a HUGE ouche bag.

3. tkbman - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Yet another amateurish article from Calcaterra. Whose relative is he that he managed to get a job as a writer?

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Well that was certainly a substantive and clever response, wasn’t it? And whose relative are you…do you even know?

• jimeejohnson - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

“NICE”!

• chacochicken - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I’m guessing australopithecus robustus?

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Anomalocaris. It was a dead-end lineage.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Oh yeah, and Chaco, thanks for not citing Pithecanthropus erectus. I’d hate to sully the name of my favorite Mingus album by association with a blogwit.

• anxovies - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

My guess is that he is related to something with long ears that eats hay.

4. historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

What an a-hole. I was sure he wouldn’t comment — and that would’ve been better than this statement. What a disingenuous POS.

• jhorton83 - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Indeed. The statement seemed more concerned with stressing that he had only met her “a few times” than the woman’s death. Once again, it’s all about Roger.

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

You’re right. Saying nothing would have been better. Dickhead.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Rage!

5. Kevin Gillman - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I get that Clemens is a jerk, and everytime he opens his mouth, his legend falls deeper and deeper into the abyss, but Craig, let’s not blame Roger on this. Mindy was going through demons, and a tragic life. My heart, and prayers go out to her kids, and let’s hope that they both are put in good adoptive homes, and they can stay together. I think about those two kids, rather than what Roger Clemens has to say, but that’s me.

6. mazblast - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Given that a big part of her fame was due to her association with Clemens, he had to same something. Unfortunately, what he said is typical I-ran-this-past-my-lawyers-so-it-says-nothing garbage.

7. jimeejohnson - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Actually, the Boston Globe reported that Clemens said he was sorry for the bad choices he made as a young man. Of course, he would never tell it like it was, or is, cause he’s an egotist and a liar. Besides that, he’s ok.

• paperlions - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

In fairness, how many of us would comment with 100% transparency to the media if questioned about the most sordid aspects of our private lives. Sometimes, it just isn’t anyone’s business….and as big of a doucher as Clemens is…I still think this is one of the times where we don’t have a right to know everything about him just because he played baseball.

• opshuns - Feb 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM

It is everyone’s business if it involved abuse…

• florida727 - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM

#jimee…, rephrased: “aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how’d you like the play?”

8. stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

“Besides that, he’s ok.”

LOL! Had to give you a thumbs up or that Jimee! Well played.

9. acdc363 - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Articles like this are why I stick to PBT or PFT. I only come here when I want to LOL at the fact that Craig still has a job.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Too bad that happens so often. Why not just go back where you came from until basketball season is over, too?

• anxovies - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Well, we will just have to encourage Craig to do a lot better so that you grace us with your presence more often, you little ray of sunshine, you.

10. johnaprice - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM

“Damaged goods” is a pretty sexist way to refer to a woman, regardless of her history with drug abuse, mental illness, or domestic violence.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

How is that possibly sexist?

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Is it possible than johnaprice is a bigger over-sensitive sissy than Craig? SOUND THE ALARM….we’ve found the biggest puss in America!

• cur68 - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I think I know what the issue is. Correct me if I’m wrong but the commenter is pointing out that “goods” are property, right? I guess I don’t have to spell it out beyond that. Hence, if your mind works that way, a person could make the argument that this is what you are implying.

Nevertheless the person behind the words needs to be considered. Its not like you go around making this sort of association all the time. Quite the opposite. So what we have here is an unfortunate choice of words resonating with some one who made that association pretty fast. I think it says more about them than you.

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Also….Craig, you buffoon…..you’ve been railing for over a year over how “racist” the Indians logo is. And you don’t see how referring to a woman as “goods” can be seen as sexist? You’re an idiot.

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Can’t help but notice that Craig has neither: a) responded to these valid criticisms nor b) corrected the post. He must be too busy writing some ridiculous article about which sport his nephew thinks is most popular in San Diego. Even for a blogger, this guy is a ridiculously lazy fool.

• johnaprice - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Because it implies that women who’ve suffered from exploitation, abuse, or addiction are contaminated or unworthy. It’s dehumanizing and is practically never used to describe men who are similarly assaulted. It’s also frequently used to describe rape victims. I mean, I get that your intent was not to be malicious but it still comes off as a pretty anachronistic term.

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Watch out everyone! John and Craig might start swinging their purses at each other!

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I’ve used the phrase “damaged goods” to describe ballplayers countless times on this blog:

In all cases, it refers to someone who had issues prior to their ultimate discovery. In the exact same way you’d refer to something delivered to you but which was damaged prior to you getting it.

• johnaprice - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Please. It’s a “murse”.

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I’ve said “son of a bitch” a thousand times…..so it’s okay if I call a woman a bitch. #CraigLogic

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for the definition, Webster. By Craig’s definition, I think Craig’s ability to reason/write is damaged goods.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Actually, that’s your logic. I’m not the one assuming logical connections where they don’t at all exist.

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM

“I’m not the one assuming logical connections where they don’t at all exist.”

Other than that devoting CONSTANT attention on this website to a cartoon caricature that you have “logically connected” to racism.

Also….where did you learn to write? “Don’t at all exist” is gibberish. Try “where they don’t exist at all.” And feel free to let me know if you need more writing tips.

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Additionally, I know that you are unable to form logical connections (hence your stance on the acceptability of PEDs in baseball)……so don’t worry about me assuming that you’ve formed a “logical connection.”

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Um….fabricant a125125125, Craig’s expression was an idiom.

And so are you.

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I’m an idiom? Or was that wordplay? HILARIOUS! You and Craig should get together and write a book! “Writing for Dummies” or “Dummies for Dummies” or “Idioms for Idiots”

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I’m taken aback that you got it. You didn’t soundnearly bright enough for such subtleties.

Incidentally, I like how easily you were able to understand Criag’s “gibberish” well enough to take a short, sharp, lucid comment and paraphrase it as a cumbersome, overwritten comment. Clearly, you have an affinity for gibberish. It’s a gift.

• a125125125 - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Old Gator clearly has a low level of reading comprehension. If you think that Craig’s writing is more clear than mine, I suggest you consult Craig/Old Gator’s new book, “Writing for Dummies,” for tips on how morons interpret language.

• florida727 - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hey Craig, why get into a pissing contest with a guy like this? Isn’t that a bit like dueling with an unarmed man?

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM

a125X3 at 2PM: “You and Craig should get together and write a book! “Writing for Dummies” or “Dummies for Dummies'”

a125X3 at 3PM: “I suggest you consult Craig/Old Gator’s new book, “Writing for Dummies,”

Sorry. I didn’t mean to tax your imagination like that.

• stabonerichard - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Damaged goods is a fairly common term used in the context of someone dealing with unresolved conflicts of emotion as a result of traumatic event(s) in his/her life. Michael Jackson comes to mind.

If you think it’s an insensitive term, I guess that’s understandable, if you’re on the lookout for ways to be offended. But to attach sexism to it is just misguided and veers off into whiner territory. Certainly there are better things to complain about.

• historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

It didn’t sit well with me, even though I wasn’t going to make a deal about it. Certain words/phrases have a different feel depending on who is the party being referenced. I’m sorry we disagree on this one.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Damn! And here I though Craig was referring to the lithium-ion batteries on the Boeing 787.

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Member of the fairer sex here (damn, that’s racist).

Craig wasn’t being sexist. “Damaged goods” is an equal opportunity term and is used for both men and women. Now, you could argue that’s an insensitive way to refer to the mentally ill, as she clearly was, but it wasn’t sexist.

• cur68 - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I probably wouldn’t have used the term: too subject to interpretation by the overly sensitive and prone to outrage. I do agree with you though, ‘burg. It applies equally to both sexes and Craig’s used it as such in the past. Whole thing’s a non-issue being blown out of proportion by people who think “since I registered my outrage first I am better than you”.

Of course that half-wit “a125125125″ is using the whole business and, by extension, the death of a troubled person, to score off off Craig. Once again, I think this “goods” business says nothing particularly trenchant about Craig and whole lot about the frothing-at-the-mouth nutjobs trying to make hay out of it.

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I don’t know what a125125125’s issue is exactly. He (or she, don’t want to be sexist now) is particularly eristic–being a dick just to be a dick. Shoot, is that sexist, too? Referring to a dick as a negative term implies that the penis is a negative thing, and by extension, the male gender itself. Dammit. How about douche? Is that sexist? That might be. Asshole, maybe? Clearly, asshole is not a sexist term. Asshole, it is. A125125125 is being an asshole just to be an asshole. There.

• cur68 - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I think he has problems. He is therefore a Damaged Asshole.

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Ouch…

• skids003 - Feb 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I think our society in general is too sensitive. You can’t say anything without offending someone any more. I really think there are people out there who go looking to get offended. They need to get a life.

• anxovies - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Damaged goods: Someone who was once healthy and/or normal but isn’t anymore due to unfortunate, traumatic events in his/her life. Urban Dictionary.

11. fanofevilempire - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I just got back from grocery shopping, as I unpacked the bags I
    noticed some of the goods have been damaged.
    I hope I didn’t offend anyone.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Hell of a way to refer to an egg, ain’t it?

12. stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM

“If you want to go looking for reasons to be outraged and offended by something be my guest. But you’re reaching desperately to do so.”

Wait! Hold. The. Phone.
    Are you saying this is a new phenomenon for those of us on HBT?
    Cause’ I would say this is what we do. It’s incredibly annoying. We do it to the point of it falling on deaf ears (very similar to the boy who cried wolf). But we do it nonetheless.
    How is this different?
    Rhetorical. I know how it’s different.

• cur68 - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I like to think we do it over stuff that isn’t important. You know: baseball stuff. This is a suicide of a young mother who’d had a troubled life. You’d think people could make a distinction about that.

13. sportsdrenched - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

You would think that as long as the internet has been around that people would realize that if they don’t like what they’re reading; they can simply not go to that website, let alone not comment on what was written there.

14. ajbaxter1975 - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

You can’t polish a turd or a Roger Clemens.

• anxovies - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Sure you can. Look at the great job his lawyers did last year.

• mazblast - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Mythbusters as proven that you CAN polish a turd. They did not address the question of why you would WANT to polish a turd.

• mazblast - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM

*has proven

15. haterhurter937 - Feb 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I knew he was a cheat, forgot he was a sexual predator.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2807)