Roger Clemens responds to Mike Piazza

Feb 18, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT

Roger Clemens Piazza bat

In his new book Mike Piazza talks about taking karate lessons and all of the strategizing he did in anticipation of the big brawl he ended up never having with Roger Clemens. Clemens showed up at Astros spring training yesterday and spoke to the Houston Chronicle about that:

“He’d have to stand in line. I think there was about three guys on the Yankees that wanted a piece of me more than (he) did. He’d probably have to get in line.”

That was joking. Well, kind of joking. He said that there were guys he didn’t get along with during his career that he does now having met them off the field. He said “most of them” were good guys. I wonder who he thinks wasn’t. Clemens also noted that rather than karate training, Piazza needed speed training:

“He needs to go get with Jesse Owens or somebody on his speed, I think. He chased some dude around the spring training site one time, didn’t he, or something? …”

That refers to Guillermo Mota, who Piazza once tried to fight but … wasn’t fast enough to catch.

1. heyblueyoustink - Feb 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM

“At my challenge, by the ancient laws of combat, we are met at this chosen ground, to settle for good and all who holds sway over the five points: us natives, born rightwise to this fine land, or the foreign hordes defiling it!”

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

This is a wound.

And this is a kill.

2. gnyj85 - Feb 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I want to hear more mike piazza stories. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have read this article

3. plmathfoto - Feb 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Cmon Craig, this: “OK, with that I think I’m getting kinda tired of Mike Piazza stories. We’ve talked an awful lot about him lately. Starting to sound like me and my college friends talking about old times. No one but us wants to hear that.” coming from the guy who’s run about 10000 Scott Rolen stories this off season? I guess Piazza stories aren’t as interesting to you, as say Clemens, cause Piazza hasn’t been to court yet, so you can defend his rights? Or is it that the big hr after 9/11 was against the Braves? Hmmmm…..

4. jimsjam33 - Feb 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

After he went off on Sculley I gave up on Mike Piazza . I used to like him . That’s over .

5. superpriebe - Feb 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I’m a little surprised that we haven’t seen an article on the passing of Mindy McCready (Clemens’ mistress) up here on “Circling the Bases”. His sordid affair with her – by some accounts beginning when she was 15 – made for quite the racy news item in the baseball world once upon a time.

And yeah, I still have HBT bookmarked as “Circling the Bases”…

• historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Whatcha wanna bet Clemens doesn’t put out a statement on that?

• superpriebe - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Well, I guess you were either busy writing it up, or got cracking on it after seeing this. I’m guessing the former…..

H/T to historiophiliac for calling the statement.

6. kjericho43 - Feb 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

The Mike Piazza bio might be the most boring read in the history of jock literature.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Clemens would have smashed him if they ever got in a real fight and it sounds like mikey knows that inside. And real Yankee fans loved Clemens when he was there, he was a rock in our rotation and money in the world series. They should retire his number one day

• fanofevilempire - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Love Clemens, really, he wasn’t a home grown talent like the core four, or Bernie, O’Neil.
      I doubt they will retire his number and as good as he was Big game Andy won more important games for Yanks.

• jwbiii - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

The Yankees traded for O’Neill.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Yanks dont win the 2000 WS without Clemens, yes andy has won more big games but for the years Clemens was in NY he was money in the bank

8. elmo - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I don’t mind the Piazza stories, keep ‘em coming. I just finished the bio and I thought it was pretty good. He uses the word “crush” a lot. He didn’t actually use it to describe the now-infamous spring training interview, but a few pages later, to describe his perception of Vin’s attitude during game calls in April of that year. It’s still unlikely, but whatever, it’s some petty shit, I don’t care. Mike’s an odd dude but he could crush the ball. That’s what I remember him for.

9. Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I think it would have been hilarious is Clemens’ statements about Piazza and Mindy McCready had gotten mixed up and released to the wrong sources.

• plmathfoto - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM

That would have been epic Old Gator

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3734)