Sandwich-related injury to keep Joel Peralta from WBC

Feb 18, 2013, 10:47 AM EST

Joel Peralta AP

Like the old saying goes: Sandwich-related injuries are all fun and games until it keeps someone from playing in the World Baseball Classic.

Last week Joel Peralta hurt his neck while getting out of his car to buy some sandwiches, but the good news was that the injury is minor and the Rays reliever noted that at least the sandwiches tasted good.

But now apparently the minor injury will keep him from pitching for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, as Peralta told Bill Chastain of MLB.com:

The main thing is, this is probably the only chance I have to play in the WBC and I’m not going to be able to. I was hoping that I could. Years earlier, I was anxious for them to invite me to go and they didn’t. Now, they invite me to go and I can’t go. So it hurts a little bit. If I was practicing and pitching, I might change my mind.

It’s a tough break for Peralta at age 36, but that’s the risk you take when getting in a car to get buy some sandwiches.

1. missthemexpos - Feb 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Best to always use the Drive Thru lane and avoid potential injuries exiting your vehicle.

2. onermedboxer - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Fine food establishments do not have Drive Thrus, and Peralta only eats the best sandwiches

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM

That is so true. Peralta was buying Cuban sandwiches, and the best ones cannot be bought from a drive-thru.

• historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM

What is in a Cuban sandwich? Is it peppers w/ a schmear of Castronnaise?

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Castronnaise is probably the secret ingredient of the Miami version. Tampa and Miami have a bit if a rivalry regarding who makes the best Cuban sandweesh.

• historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Seriously, what’s a Cuban sandwich…weesh?

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM

WordPress is being funky with me today…

The Cuban (aka el mixto) is to Tampa what cheesesteak is to Philly. It was created by Cuban vigar rolling immigrants in Ybor (Eebor) City, Tampa. Cuban bread, roast pork, ham, swiss cheese, mustard, sliced pickles originally, the Tampanians added salami after cross breeding with Italians. Miami is salami-less. Some also add mayo. I like a light coating of olive oil then hot pressed to a crusty outside.

• historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

sounds yummy

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Cigar rolling, not vigar. Damn, I may need to turn auto-correct back on.

It is yummy. If you’re ever in the area, you have to try one.

• historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Yep. We don’t get much Cuban cuisine out this way.

• cur68 - Feb 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Now I’m hungry. Thanks a lot.

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I’ve been craving a Cuban all day and I just got home from the gym starving. I wonder if Wawa would make one…

• historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

You know if it had bacon on it, that would’ve been a deal-breaker for me though, right?

• indaburg - Feb 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Lol, yes, I know. There is no bacon or rum in the Cuban sandwich.

3. tkbman - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

What the hell is up with the weird injuries this year? Shoveling snow? Christmas pranks? Getting out of the car? I’m almost afraid of what might happen when they actually start playing ball!

4. mudhead123 - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Who cares about this old cheater

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

It’s not cheating. It’s gamesmanship.

5. makeham98 - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM

If you have never had a cuban sandwich, seek one out. Even Luis Tiant sells them outside of Fenway. Outstanding stuff. This is the second big sandwich story I tead in the past 24 hours, Danica Patrick being the subject of the other.

6. themagicfanguy - Feb 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The ones in Tampa are better. Even though the BEST Cuban I’ve had was from a place in Kissimmee.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5020)