Feb 18, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
You don’t have the kind of control that Pedro Martinez had and have 141 pitches go so far away from where you intended them to go that they hit the batter accidentially. Maybe 14 or 15 did, though:
Pedro just admitted that 90 percent of the guys he hit were on purpose. But not Karim Garcua. “Hit the bat,” he said. “Lucky bastard.”
— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) February 18, 2013
I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise.
I am also still of the opinion that intentionally hitting batters is simply dangerous and simply wrong. I am a complex human being, however, who will temper that viewpoint in this instance because (a) Martinez is retired; (b) Martinez never killed anyone; and (c) he’s Pedro frickin’ Martinez, and such greatness is allowed a little latitude now and again.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20