Feb 18, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
You don’t have the kind of control that Pedro Martinez had and have 141 pitches go so far away from where you intended them to go that they hit the batter accidentially. Maybe 14 or 15 did, though:
Pedro just admitted that 90 percent of the guys he hit were on purpose. But not Karim Garcua. “Hit the bat,” he said. “Lucky bastard.”
— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) February 18, 2013
I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise.
I am also still of the opinion that intentionally hitting batters is simply dangerous and simply wrong. I am a complex human being, however, who will temper that viewpoint in this instance because (a) Martinez is retired; (b) Martinez never killed anyone; and (c) he’s Pedro frickin’ Martinez, and such greatness is allowed a little latitude now and again.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)