“Show and tell” with Luke Scott

Feb 18, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays Photo Day Getty Images

It’s never a dull moment for everyone sharing a clubhouse with Rays designated hitter Luke Scott, via Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Tribune:

Luke Scott promised to bring something interesting this morning for “show and tell” and he did–a stuffed boar’s head. “My first confirmed kill with a spear,” he said before heading out for today’s workout.

A year ago at this time Scott made headlines for calling Red Sox fans “ruthless and vulgar” and before that he outed himself as an Obama birther, so showing off the head of an animal he killed probably doesn’t even get teammates to do a double-take.

And the Rays must have liked him in the clubhouse well enough last season, because despite Scott’s poor production at the plate they re-signed him to a one-year, $2.75 million deal.

UPDATE: Mooney posted a picture:

1. js20011041 - Feb 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I thought tea baggers were all about personal accountability and not taking handouts. If that’s the case why didn’t Scott offer to play for the Rays for free this year. Isn’t the fact that he made any money last year the exact definition of “entitlement spending?”

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

It’s only an entitlement if it doesn’t go to me. That’s what being a teabagger is really all about.

• jwbiii - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

You’re quoting Curt Schilling, aren’t you?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

“I thought tea baggers were all about personal accountability and not taking handouts.”
      So a paycheck that you earned is now a handout? Man…the nerve!
      Greedy…money loving…elitist pig (er…boar).

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM

With his poor production and injuries last year, I don’t know if you could say he necessarily earned his money.

• js20011041 - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Yes indaburg, and that was my point. With teabaggers, they claim to be all about people “earning” their money. Unless, of course, it involves themselves.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

“With teabaggers, they claim to be all about people “earning” their money. Unless, of course, it involves themselves.”

Hahaha! I hear you. And please realize I know you were joking.
      I just don’t agree with your view.

2. snowbirdgothic - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Severed pig head? There’s a Lord of the Flies joke in here somewhere, but I just don’t have the heart to make it.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Okay, how about a “The Most Dangerous Game” joke instead? Here’s hoping the idiot washes up on General Zaroff’s island one day.

• snowbirdgothic - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I suspect if he washed up, they’d throw him back.

• nategearhart - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Oh he’s washed up, alright.

3. stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I have always wanted to go Wild Boar hunting. I have several friends who have done so in Tennessee and Arkansas. But they used handguns and hunting dogs.
    A wild boar will mess you up like it’s nobody’s bidniss. Luke Scott used a spear. Wow. Dude’s a stud.

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM

All you had to do is look at his facial hair to know he’s a stud.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Hahaha! Point taken. I would argue that none of them are truly “worth” the monies they are making. But in a free market society (at the moment anyway)…
        Nevertheless…a paycheck is not a handout. And I realize you know this.
        But it was precisely my point with JS’ post. And I truly hope his post was tongue-in-cheek.

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Yeah, it only felt like a hand-out at times. I’m pretty sure JS was joking. I just hope Scott can stay healthy this season and that he’s figured out how to hit against the shift.

I did some archery for the first time in my life a few weeks ago, and I do have to admit, it’s pretty impressive he could take down a boar with a bow and arrow.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Yeah…I can’t shoot a bow to save my life. Haven’t done it much.
        But when I have shot one…let’s just say…it was humbling.

• paperlions - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Yeah, I figured he just killed it with his adamantium claws.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Dude’s got a stud loose upstairs. You’re right about what a wild boar can do to you – and this moron who seems to want to be a professional baseball player, coming off shoulder surgery and any variety of other physical injuries, goes after it with a spear?

And this in a bizniss where bans on playing everything from basketball to tennis are routinely written into player contracts, and in an ethos where folks got all over Carl Pavano for shoveling snow?

“No hunting wild swine with a handheld non-projectile discharging implement” will now doubtless be written into the Iron Giant’s extension, along with everyone else’s.

• historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Seriously, how am I not supposed to make an Arkansas/razorback joke there? Dang. Well, if you go to the boarish state, pick your wifey up a diamond at the Do-It-Yourself mine. She may not object to tusks in the living room then.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

She would object to tusks in the living room no matter the amount of diamonds I brought home.
        Tusks, wall mounts for the big bucks, large mouth bass, small mouth bass, etc…
        In the basement. I am cool with that.
        She doesn’t bust my balls about hunting…it’s the least I can do.

• historiophiliac - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Maybe you could try for a “coat rack” in the entry way. lol

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM

LOL! A coat rack. You sound like a person who speaks from experience.
        I don’t push my luck with this issue. We have lot’s of artsie fartsie friends over for entertaining.
        There are a couple in particular that I find pure joy in showing the trophies in the Basement.
        I typically do this after several cocktails so their previous inhibitions are gone.
        That way…they really start to cuss at mey in their best sailor voices. It really is entertaining.
        Sometimes…I break out the summer sausage and crackers and serve it as appetizers.
        It’s too the point now they just assume it’s venison, buffalo or elk.
        The Wifey cuts me lots of slack when it comes to hunting and softball.
        I follow her “advice” with regards to the wall mounts not leaving the basement.

4. eagles512 - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM

stlouis answered them before I could. Thanks for showing them they’re the idiots.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

You only think he “showed them” anything because your own ideological constipation is the ground of your particular reality. It’s called wish-fulfillment.

5. Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Personally, I think it would have been much cooler if he had walked in with that big jar Danny DeVito was carrying around in Hoffa.

6. slavetothetrafficlight - Feb 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

poor Mike Fontenot

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5224)