Todd Helton apologizes for his DUI

Feb 18, 2013, 7:15 AM EST

Todd Helton

Todd Helton addressed the media yesterday, apologizing for his February 6 DUI, which he called “a monumental mistake”:

“Last week I got behind the wheel of my truck after I had drank. All I can do now is apologize and ask for forgiveness. I spoke to my teammates today and they were very supportive. I’m very grateful to my wife, my family, my teammates and the Colorado Rockies organization for their support. I am determined to learn from my mistakes, and I’ve gotten help.”

He said he was “doing everything I can to make sure it doesn’t happen again.” His manager, Walt Weiss, talked about this representing “closure.” So this sounds like the last we’ll hear of it. Left unsaid: whether Helton thinks he has a drinking problem and whether whatever Helton is doing to “make sure this doesn’t happen again” involves addressing his relationship with alcohol. Sorry if that sounds judgmental, but this passive voice noise from Helton makes me a little judgmental:

“The main point was it can happen to anybody,” Helton said of his message to the Rockies. “I never thought it could happen to me, and it did, and just be aware of it.”

Because getting behind the wheel of a car while you’re drunk just pounces on a person unaware. Always gotta be on the lookout for those Solo cups full of wine and car keys to spring out of the dark and land on you like a predator. Yes, Helton is the real victim here when you think about it.

One can say they’re sorry all they want. But saying you’re sorry and taking responsibility for a thing are not the same.

Latest Posts
  1. Baseball in Uganda? Yes, baseball in Uganda.

Dec 26, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Uganda tourism destinations

And it’s all thanks to a man named George Mukhobe.

2. Giants re-sign J.C. Gutierrez

Dec 26, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

Juan Gutierrez Giants AP

He threw 64 innings with a 3.96 ERA and 44/16 K/BB ratio for the Giants in 2014.

3. Padres season ticket sales have spiked in the wake of their offseason spending spree

Dec 26, 2014, 9:35 AM EST

padres logo

Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.

4. Chihiro Kaneko re-signs with Orix Buffaloes

Dec 25, 2014, 3:05 PM EST

kaneko getty Getty Images

Japanese righty Chihiro Kaneko might have been one of the top starters on the open market this winter had he been posted by the Orix Buffaloes, his Nippon Professional Baseball team.

5. 2015 Free Agent Tracker

Dec 25, 2014, 1:23 PM EST

Hanley Ramirez Hanley Ramirez

Your one-stop shop for all of the offseason signings.

6. Merry Christmas from HBT!

Dec 25, 2014, 8:47 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 8.45.33 AM

And a very special friend of HBT

7. Tommy Lasorda reads “Twas the Night Before Christmas”

Dec 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

mlb video

A good way to finish off our Christmas Eve coverage on HardballTalk …

8. Kenta Maeda re-signs with the Hiroshima Carp

Dec 24, 2014, 8:04 PM EST

kenta maeda getty Getty Images

The sought-after 26-year-old right-hander has now officially re-signed with the Hiroshima Carp for the 2015 season, according to the Japan Times.

9. Rockies sign outfielder Roger Bernadina

Dec 24, 2014, 6:17 PM EST

roger bernadina getty Getty Images

Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Rockies have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with outfielder Roger Bernadina.

10. What baseball team did people from Bedford Falls root for?

Dec 24, 2014, 4:21 PM EST

IAWL

A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town. Well, except for Mr. Potter. That guy is LOADED.

11. The Braves and A.J. Pierzynski reach a one-year deal; first reported in a ham store

Dec 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Ham

No, really. The news broke on line at a Honeybaked Ham store.

12. THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year

Dec 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

megaphone

Based on these results, no, we will not stick to baseball. Because you clearly don’t want us to.

13. Orioles re-sign Delmon Young

Dec 24, 2014, 12:02 PM EST

Delmon Young Getty Images

Buck Showalter found a way to get value out of Young in a part-time role.

14. “There’s a decent chance” the Rays will trade Ben Zobrist

Dec 24, 2014, 11:16 AM EST

Ben Zobrist AP

Zobrist has been a regular for the Rays since 2008.

15. The average major league salary is up to $3.8 million

Dec 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Money Bag

Money don’t get everything it’s true. But what it don’t get, I can’t use

16. The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what?

Dec 24, 2014, 9:14 AM EST

Jeter and A-Rod

Dirty secret: baseball isn’t always about winning. Even when the Yankees are involved.

17. Video: Nationals Park transforms into ice rink for next week’s 2015 Winter Classic

Dec 23, 2014, 10:59 PM EST

2015 winter classic logo

“NHL Live” on NBC Sports Network ended a segment Tuesday night with this time-lapse video of Nationals Park being converted from a baseball field into an ice rink for next week’s 2015 NHL Winter Classic between the Washington Capitals and visiting Chicago Blackhawks …

18. Padres ink Brett Wallace to minor league contract

Dec 23, 2014, 9:44 PM EST

brett wallace getty Getty Images

As first reported by Matt Eddy of Baseball America, the Padres have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with first baseman Brett Wallace. The deal comes with an invitation to …

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2765)
  2. W. Myers (2521)
  3. D. Ross (2165)
  4. C. McGehee (2113)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1963)
  1. J. Shields (1864)