Which sport reigns supreme in each major league city?

Feb 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EST

sports logos

Because I’m bored, let’s follow-up that Josh Hamilton post with a survey of each Major League Baseball city to see what sport — using my totally subjective There Can Only Be One criteria — reigns supreme in each city. Which team, if the city could vote and only keep one, would stay:

• New York: High school hoops has a rich history, but professionally I think baseball. Specifically Yankees. Anyone really disagree?
  • Boston: Probably the most “all sports” town on the list, but I’d have to say Sox.
  • Toronto: Leafs, Leafs, Leafs, Leafs.
  • Baltimore: For a long time baseball, but I do a lot of sports radio in Baltimore and it seems like the Ravens have dominated for years. And really, before the 80s, the Colts probably did too.
  • Tampa Bay: Who knows? Anyone? Not the Rays, that’s for sure. Probably the Bucs. More probably shuffleboard and bocce ball.
  • Detroit: Great baseball town, but they seem to live and die with the Wings more. My relatives who live there all do anyway. I could be persuaded that Detroit is primarily a baseball town, though.
  • Cleveland: Browns. By far. Even when they didn’t exist for a few years.
  • Chicago: This is an interesting one. I feel like it’s a Bears city, but I’d like to hear arguments on it. Walking around there in the summer and the city just reeks baseball, so it’s probably closer than I imagine.
  • Kansas City: They don’t tailgate for the Royals like they do for the Chiefs and that’s not for lack of a parking lot.
  • Minneapolis: I assume the Vikings. Gleeman should weigh in, though. Youth hockey may trump it all.
  • Seattle: I really don’t know, but given that they’ve sent away a baseball team and a basketball team to other cities in the past, the Seahawks probably by default.
  • Oakland: Kind of weird because (a) they’re so close to San Francisco; and (b) the people who dress up and act insane for Raiders games all probably live outside of Oakland, but based just on what you see, the Raiders.
  • Houston: Texas = football. Even with the Oilers leaving.
  • Los Angeles: It’s a status city and good Lakers tickets have to be pretty high up there as far as status symbols go.
  • Dallas: Cowboys could go 1-15 and the Rangers could win the series and it’s still a Cowboys city.
  • Atlanta: Probably college football more than anything, but the Falcons pretty obviously trump the Braves. I think, as far as local support goes, it’s probably more of a front-running town than anything.
  • Philadelphia: I really don’t know. All sports, to be sure. But it may very well be a baseball town more. There are no shortage of Philly people here, so you tell me. Gun to my head I say the Phillies and Eagels are close, but I don’t know if that’s been the case for all that long a time.
  • Washington: It begins and ends with the Redskins and anyone who tells you differently is an insane person.
  • Miami: Well, I don’t think it’s controversial to say it’s not the Marlins. Dolphins all the time, the Heat are a big deal when they’re good.
  • St. Louis: Maybe the most baseball town of them all, even if I think that Best Fans in Baseball Thing is silly.
  • Cincinnati: I think it’s a Reds town. I don’t know too many people here in Ohio who disagree.
  • Milwaukee: It’s over 100 miles to Green Bay, but I bet it’s still more Packers than Brewers. If you disqualify the Packers for distance it’s the Brewers by default. Still a great baseball town, though. It’s not the Brewers fault that people go Packers crazy.
  • Pittsburgh: A good baseball town to be sure, but it’s the Steelers by far. They’ve become a regional thing, even. It stretches well into Ohio and many points north, south and east as well.
  • San Francisco: I think the Giants have to be it, at least since they moved to AT&T Park. And now the 49ers are moving out of the city, so it’ll probably become more pronounced.
  • San Diego: My brother isn’t the most reliable narrator in the world but he’s lived in San Diego for almost 20 years and says the Chargers are it. Having gone to a lot of Padres games I have to agree with him.
  • Denver: Broncos, Broncos, Broncos.
  • Phoenix: I really have no idea. Like, no sense at all. The Suns have tenure, obviously, but I’m not sure what that means. Spring training makes the whole city basebally for a while. I know people get behind the Dbacks when they win.  Man, I’m rather stumped on Phoenix.

So that’s my take. Talk amongst yourselves.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Ernie Banks remembered

Jan 25, 2015, 9:39 AM EST

ernie banks getty Getty Images

MLB Network looks back on the career of Ernie Banks, who died Friday at the age of 83 …

2. Tommy Milone had a benign tumor removed from his neck

Jan 24, 2015, 10:40 PM EST

Tommy Milone Tommy Milone

Tommy Milone underwent neck surgery in December to remove a benign tumor, but he was able to resume throwing just over two weeks later.

3. Twins GM Terry Ryan could see Byron Buxton debuting in 2015

Jan 24, 2015, 9:35 PM EST

Byron Buxton Getty Images

Top prospect Byron Buxton could be wearing a Twins uniform in the major leagues at some point this season according to GM Terry Ryan.

4. Tigers, Al Alburquerque avoid arbitration with a one-year deal

Jan 24, 2015, 8:30 PM EST

Al Alburquerque AP

The Tigers and reliever Al Alburquerque avoided arbitration with a one-year deal on Saturday.

5. Proposed Jonathan Papelbon trade to Brewers is “on life support”

Jan 24, 2015, 7:25 PM EST

Jonathan Papelbon Jonathan Papelbon

A Jonathan Papelbon trade to the Brewers may not be happening after all.

6. Mariners considering bringing back Franklin Gutierrez

Jan 24, 2015, 6:20 PM EST

Franklin Gutierrez Getty Images

Franklin Gutierrez could make a return to the Mariners. The 31-year-old outfielder has had trouble staying healthy over the last few years.

7. Twins and Brian Duensing agree to one-year deal to avoid arbitration

Jan 24, 2015, 5:28 PM EST

Brian Duensing Getty Getty Images

Duensing he has been useful and durable as a middle reliever over the past two seasons, posting a 3.67 ERA (110 ERA+) in 115 1/3 innings over 135 appearances.

8. Report: Brandon Beachy has decided on a team

Jan 24, 2015, 4:53 PM EST

Brandon Beachy AP

Beachy is currently making his way back from his second Tommy John surgery.

9. Report: More than 200 scouts attended recent workout for Cuban infielder Hector Olivera

Jan 24, 2015, 4:01 PM EST

Hector Olivera Getty Getty Images

The Giants, Padres, Rangers, Braves, and Yankees are among the teams showing strong interest in Olivera.

10. 1953 scouting report for Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 3:15 PM EST

Ernie Banks AP AP

Check out this scouting report from when Banks was 22 years old.

11. Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 2:40 PM EST

MLB Photos Archive

From the start, even in those turbulent times, even though Chicago was finding its way in a changing America, people in Chicago did not see the color of his skin. From the start, Chicago loved Ernie Banks.

12. Ryan Vogelsong “really wasn’t comfortable with what was going on” with Astros before returning to Giants

Jan 24, 2015, 2:16 PM EST

vogelsong getty Getty Images

Did something strange happen between Ryan Vogelsong and the Astros which led to his return to the Giants?

13. Vince Coleman joining White Sox staff to help with baserunning

Jan 24, 2015, 1:11 PM EST

Vince Coleman Getty Getty Images

Coleman, who ranks sixth on MLB’s all-time list with 752 stolen bases, spent last the two seasons as a minor league outfield/baserunning coach with the Astros.

14. Athletics and Fernando Abad avoid arbitration with one-year deal

Jan 24, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

Fernando Abad AP AP

Abad, 29, posted an excellent 1.57 ERA and 51/15 K/BB ratio across 57 1/3 innings out of Oakland’s bullpen in 2014.

15. What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

Ernie Banks AP AP

Reactions from a baseball world in mourning after the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks.

16. Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred

Jan 24, 2015, 10:02 AM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

With Rob Manfred set to take over for Bud Selig as MLB commissioner on Sunday, Alex Rodriguez recently paid him a visit in an attempt to clear the air and turn the page on the drama surrounding the Biogenesis scandal.

17. Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83

Jan 23, 2015, 11:15 PM EST

Ernie Banks

There was only one Mr. Cub. And he was one of the greatest men in baseball history.

18. Indians showing interest in Nolan Reimold

Jan 23, 2015, 10:55 PM EST

Nolan Reimold Nolan Reimold

The Indians are considering bringing Nolan Reimold on board.

19. Astros, Marwin Gonzalez avoid arbitration with a one-year contract

Jan 23, 2015, 9:50 PM EST

The Astros and utilityman Marwin Gonzalez avoided arbitration on Friday.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester