Bartolo Colon apologizes for his PED use

Feb 19, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT

Oakland Athletics Photo Day Getty Images

Someone sedate Buster Olney. A player is offering a vague statement of regret but providing no additional details. Susan Slusser of the Chronicle reports:

Bartolo Colon met with the media on Tuesday morning, with his usual interpreter, Ariel Prieto, on hand to help. He started off by saying, “The only thing I can say about last year is I apologize to everyone, even the fans, the team, the front office about what happened.”

That was pretty much it. He’s going to apologize to his teammates individually, but he’s going to conduct neither the detailed debriefing nor offer the steely “no comment” which Olney thinks is OK.

Pfun Pfact: Slusser reports that Colon knew about his positive PED test six weeks before his suspension was announced. Bob Melvin didn’t know until the day he was suspended. That’s how the appeals system works, but man, that’s gotta be weird.

1. 3superman3 - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Ur tremendously fat dude. Did u eat those peds?

2. dexterismyhero - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Bartolo Colgne…….What would that smell like anyway?

eeeewwwww

• vansloot - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Better than Bartolo’s colon, I reckon.

3. flosox - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Must have used Giambi’s PR team…

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Who would possibly thumbs down this? Flo – great call, more or less exactly what Jason Giambi said.

- I’d just like to apologize
      - For what
      - Uhhh – in general, I’d like to say that I’m sorry for letting down the fans.
      - In what way, Jason?
      - You know, just in the overall sense that I’m sorry about something I might have done. Once or twice. Y’know.

• badintent - Feb 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Didn’t use Man Ram’s PR…… oh wait…Manny being Manny never said sorry or explained .

4. cur68 - Feb 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Welvome back, Dugong. Keep away from the ‘roids, practice your junk ball pitching, and consider a move to the bullpen. Good luck.

5. brianc6234 - Feb 19, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I want a change in the system. When Colon was caught all of his starts should have been thrown out. Why is his team allowed to keep wins when he was cheating? The way they punish players is a joke. If his punishment hurts his team maybe he’ll care about it and not cheat. But I guess the players wouldn’t want that.

• jarathen - Feb 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

because THAT wouldn’t be a disastrous set of dominoes.

• Kevin Gillman - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM

If you take away his wins, then you have to take away his losses too. You know, because PEDs “work” all the time.

6. stercuilus65 - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM

What’s with the Buster obsession Craig?

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Buster just happens to be the current poster child for flipping out about this stuff. I’m starting to worry about him. I think he should see Craig’s physician and cut out all that frickin maple syrup. His heart pump maple.

7. Cereal - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Kick him out of the game,,,Bud just doesnt care about this

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3457)