Feb 19, 2013, 4:47 AM EDT
3:30 AM: Cat wakes me up, meowing outside the bedroom door. It’s been two months since he’s been exiled from the bedroom for being a jerk, and for a long time he was cool about it, but now every other day he meows out there a lot. He won’t stop this time.
3:45 AM: Out of bed. Begin the six stages of being awake before 4AM (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance, Twitter reading)
4:28 AM: Give up any hope of sleeping. Turn on coffee pot.
4:36 AM: Read a tweet from @yakyunightowl suggesting I look at Nyjer Morgan’s Twitter feed. It is mid-afternoon in Japan, and Morgan is at an elementary school. 800 kids are making “little Ts” which I think stand for “Tony Plush.”
SUBARASHII ZIKAN WO ARIGATO!!!! What a Beautiful day. ARIGATO GINOWAN ELEMENTARY823 LIL T’s 6-12. Thanks Rami Chan twitter.com/TheRealToneP/s…
— Nyjer Morgan (@TheRealToneP) February 19, 2013
4:46 AM: Post this thing. Figure it’s gonna be a long day. May as well start it randomly.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 13
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 51
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 45
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)