Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Because if no one is going to actually sign the guy, he has to pitch someplace, right?
José Valverde will Play for the Dominican Republic in the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
— EquipoRD_WBC (@EquipoRD_WBC) February 18, 2013
In other news, the logo on the tweet is for the Dominican Republic’s WBC cap. I am currently a week and a day from flying off to spring training and I realized that the only caps I own are MLB logo caps. Which, as a member of the sporting press, I am not permitted to wear while covering baseball at ballparks. I need a cap.
The WBC ones were a possibility, but the USA one is kind of “meh” looking to me. My blood is Irish, English and Romanian. The name — but not blood, thanks to an upstream adoption — is Italian. There is no Romanian or Irish WBC team and both the Great Britain and Italy ones are likewise “meh.” And those would be a reach anyway. Like Charles Foster Kane told the papers: “I am, have been, and will always be, an American.”
So I’m left in a bit of bind. I sort of need to keep to sized and fitted caps because I have a gigantic head — I wear a 7 3/4 in New Era 59/50s — which means one size fits most kind of caps never work. Minor league caps all look sorta minor leaguey. Even though I’m an Ohio State alum, I live in Columbus and I’m pretty sick of seeing Buckeye stuff all the time. New Era makes a Batman cap, but I don’t know if I want to risk advertising my secret identity so boldly.
Any ideas appreciated. I don’t want my head to get sunburned in the Valley of the Sun next week.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 81
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)