Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Because if no one is going to actually sign the guy, he has to pitch someplace, right?
José Valverde will Play for the Dominican Republic in the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
— EquipoRD_WBC (@EquipoRD_WBC) February 18, 2013
In other news, the logo on the tweet is for the Dominican Republic’s WBC cap. I am currently a week and a day from flying off to spring training and I realized that the only caps I own are MLB logo caps. Which, as a member of the sporting press, I am not permitted to wear while covering baseball at ballparks. I need a cap.
The WBC ones were a possibility, but the USA one is kind of “meh” looking to me. My blood is Irish, English and Romanian. The name — but not blood, thanks to an upstream adoption — is Italian. There is no Romanian or Irish WBC team and both the Great Britain and Italy ones are likewise “meh.” And those would be a reach anyway. Like Charles Foster Kane told the papers: ”I am, have been, and will always be, an American.”
So I’m left in a bit of bind. I sort of need to keep to sized and fitted caps because I have a gigantic head — I wear a 7 3/4 in New Era 59/50s — which means one size fits most kind of caps never work. Minor league caps all look sorta minor leaguey. Even though I’m an Ohio State alum, I live in Columbus and I’m pretty sick of seeing Buckeye stuff all the time. New Era makes a Batman cap, but I don’t know if I want to risk advertising my secret identity so boldly.
Any ideas appreciated. I don’t want my head to get sunburned in the Valley of the Sun next week.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)