Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Because if no one is going to actually sign the guy, he has to pitch someplace, right?
José Valverde will Play for the Dominican Republic in the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
— EquipoRD_WBC (@EquipoRD_WBC) February 18, 2013
In other news, the logo on the tweet is for the Dominican Republic’s WBC cap. I am currently a week and a day from flying off to spring training and I realized that the only caps I own are MLB logo caps. Which, as a member of the sporting press, I am not permitted to wear while covering baseball at ballparks. I need a cap.
The WBC ones were a possibility, but the USA one is kind of “meh” looking to me. My blood is Irish, English and Romanian. The name — but not blood, thanks to an upstream adoption — is Italian. There is no Romanian or Irish WBC team and both the Great Britain and Italy ones are likewise “meh.” And those would be a reach anyway. Like Charles Foster Kane told the papers: “I am, have been, and will always be, an American.”
So I’m left in a bit of bind. I sort of need to keep to sized and fitted caps because I have a gigantic head — I wear a 7 3/4 in New Era 59/50s — which means one size fits most kind of caps never work. Minor league caps all look sorta minor leaguey. Even though I’m an Ohio State alum, I live in Columbus and I’m pretty sick of seeing Buckeye stuff all the time. New Era makes a Batman cap, but I don’t know if I want to risk advertising my secret identity so boldly.
Any ideas appreciated. I don’t want my head to get sunburned in the Valley of the Sun next week.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)