Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Because if no one is going to actually sign the guy, he has to pitch someplace, right?
José Valverde will Play for the Dominican Republic in the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
— EquipoRD_WBC (@EquipoRD_WBC) February 18, 2013
In other news, the logo on the tweet is for the Dominican Republic’s WBC cap. I am currently a week and a day from flying off to spring training and I realized that the only caps I own are MLB logo caps. Which, as a member of the sporting press, I am not permitted to wear while covering baseball at ballparks. I need a cap.
The WBC ones were a possibility, but the USA one is kind of “meh” looking to me. My blood is Irish, English and Romanian. The name — but not blood, thanks to an upstream adoption — is Italian. There is no Romanian or Irish WBC team and both the Great Britain and Italy ones are likewise “meh.” And those would be a reach anyway. Like Charles Foster Kane told the papers: “I am, have been, and will always be, an American.”
So I’m left in a bit of bind. I sort of need to keep to sized and fitted caps because I have a gigantic head — I wear a 7 3/4 in New Era 59/50s — which means one size fits most kind of caps never work. Minor league caps all look sorta minor leaguey. Even though I’m an Ohio State alum, I live in Columbus and I’m pretty sick of seeing Buckeye stuff all the time. New Era makes a Batman cap, but I don’t know if I want to risk advertising my secret identity so boldly.
Any ideas appreciated. I don’t want my head to get sunburned in the Valley of the Sun next week.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)