Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Because if no one is going to actually sign the guy, he has to pitch someplace, right?
José Valverde will Play for the Dominican Republic in the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
— EquipoRD_WBC (@EquipoRD_WBC) February 18, 2013
In other news, the logo on the tweet is for the Dominican Republic’s WBC cap. I am currently a week and a day from flying off to spring training and I realized that the only caps I own are MLB logo caps. Which, as a member of the sporting press, I am not permitted to wear while covering baseball at ballparks. I need a cap.
The WBC ones were a possibility, but the USA one is kind of “meh” looking to me. My blood is Irish, English and Romanian. The name — but not blood, thanks to an upstream adoption — is Italian. There is no Romanian or Irish WBC team and both the Great Britain and Italy ones are likewise “meh.” And those would be a reach anyway. Like Charles Foster Kane told the papers: “I am, have been, and will always be, an American.”
So I’m left in a bit of bind. I sort of need to keep to sized and fitted caps because I have a gigantic head — I wear a 7 3/4 in New Era 59/50s — which means one size fits most kind of caps never work. Minor league caps all look sorta minor leaguey. Even though I’m an Ohio State alum, I live in Columbus and I’m pretty sick of seeing Buckeye stuff all the time. New Era makes a Batman cap, but I don’t know if I want to risk advertising my secret identity so boldly.
Any ideas appreciated. I don’t want my head to get sunburned in the Valley of the Sun next week.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 247
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)