Jose Valverde is going to pitch in the World Baseball Classic

Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Because if no one is going to actually sign the guy, he has to pitch someplace, right?

In other news, the logo on the tweet is for the Dominican Republic’s WBC cap. I am currently a week and a day from flying off to spring training and I realized that the only caps I own are MLB logo caps. Which, as a member of the sporting press, I am not permitted to wear while covering baseball at ballparks. I need a cap.

The WBC ones were a possibility, but the USA one is kind of “meh” looking to me. My blood is Irish, English and Romanian. The name — but not blood, thanks to an upstream adoption — is Italian. There is no Romanian or Irish WBC team and both the Great Britain and Italy ones are likewise “meh.” And those would be a reach anyway. Like Charles Foster Kane told the papers: “I am, have been, and will always be, an American.”

So I’m left in a bit of bind. I sort of need to keep to sized and fitted caps because I have a gigantic head — I wear a 7 3/4 in New Era 59/50s — which means one size fits most kind of caps never work. Minor league caps all look sorta minor leaguey. Even though I’m an Ohio State alum, I live in Columbus and I’m pretty sick of seeing Buckeye stuff all the time. New Era makes a Batman cap, but I don’t know if I want to risk advertising my secret identity so boldly.

Any ideas appreciated. I don’t want my head to get sunburned in the Valley of the Sun next week.

1. cur68 - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Get one of these:

2. darthicarus - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Are you permitted to wear the umpires hats? That would show your non-allegiance to any team, your fairness to the game, and allow you to report on what you see…even if you may have seen it incorrectly and chalk up the mistakes to being the “human element” of reporting. It’s pretty much a win/win situation for you.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Wear this one…you can blend in with the ooooooold school reporters

• albertmn - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM

This. You would be stylin’

4. tigresnyc - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Canseco’s Tigres: http://mlkshk.com/r/KN94

5. cur68 - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Of course this fine OSU hat might be more to your taste:

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

/resists urge to make beaver joke

I’m gonna be good. I’m gonna be good…

• cur68 - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Any man would be proud to wear a beaver on his head. Your ears would be warm, that’s for certain.

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Booooo!!!!

/throws bars of soap

• cur68 - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM

catches bar of soap. Uses it to lube ears and brow to get best possible fit with beaver hat

/so warm…

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM

OMG!

• indaburg - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Gawd, that was a mental image no one needed.

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Agreed!

• cur68 - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM

What? Craig said he had a big head. Since his face goes right back past his ears the OSU Beaver Hat in the picture would need significant stretching and/or head lube for him to get it on. Its not my fault he has a big head.

• paperlions - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You might not have wanted that mental image…but it was freakin’ funny.

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Boooo!!!

/throws snowballs

6. paperlions - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Wear a hat. I suggest something timeless, like a Filson tin cloth packer (or bush) hat.

7. jwbiii - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM

This is a velcro back, rather than fitted, but how about this:

8. digbysellers - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Get yourself one of those pork pocket hats that chubby fellas wear…they’re stylish. Then you can mock said tubby folk for looking stupid in those hats while you remain dashing.

9. jwbiii - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM

On a more serious note, of course Valverde should pitch in the WBC. He’ll use it as a showcase, same as Chien-Ming Wang.

10. historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM

What? The girlfriend hasn’t set you up with a nice Stetson yet????

(PS, I’m assuming you’ll go for a feather. Don’t. Just don’t. Also, if you need tips on how to wear it, watch Murphy’s Romance, featuring your man-crush James Garner.)

11. scoregasmic - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM

The back to back world war champs hat is always good

12. indaburg - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM

If you don’t go with Fiorentino’s genius Indy fedora idea and you insist on a baseball cap, how about the one you can get from the boys over in Ireland trying to build a baseball stadium? You’ll probably get questions on it, providing them some nice publicity, and it’s a sharp looking cap.

13. rich7041 - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

This just in:

• ezthinking - Feb 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

A close second has to be the newspaper boy’s hat http://www.newsboyhat.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Newsboy-Hat.jpg

It has the added benefit of being worn backwards or sideways to fit your “style.”

14. kiwicricket - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Perhaps a hair hat?

Or perhaps even http://www.flairhair.com/

15. paperlions - Feb 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM

This post is awesome! Hey, Valverde is going to be in the WBC and I need a new hat….followed by zero comments about Valverde and 26 about hats (and, well…the stuff Cur posted).

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Fine.

/sighs

He was really, really great for us in 2011 and maybe that gave us unrealistic expectations for 2012. His work during last season was so painful to watch though and our record suffered when he would come into games where we were ahead or tied and give up runs. It got to the point where we needed at least a 3-run cushion. That wasn’t as hard when we played the Royals, etc, but in the post-season, it killed us. Fans were fed up and gladly watched as management gave him the heave-ho. Still and all, he is not the worst closer out there and I am kinda surprised no one has bitten. I think someone likely will, but he’ll have to do a little work to get rid of that bad taste first. It’s just hard to have a season like he did in 2011. I would like it if he did well in the WBC, secretly…and then the Mets pick him up. :)

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Re-sign José Tigre! I’m starting one of those online petition thingies.

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Really? That’s what I get for my effort? Mean paperlions. Mean.

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM

What I got from your post was that José made games EXCITING…you never knew what was going to happen. Who doesn’t like exciting baseball? I’m just looking out for your best interests.

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Well, if you mean causes apoplexy, yes he’s exciting. But I can pass on having to pace the floor the last inning and yell at the TV every time.

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Man, you are no fun at all.

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Said the man who bitched about my booing…

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Only because you stopped throwing edible stuff.

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM

It’s snowing!!!!!! I’m so happy, I may not boo anyone today! It was 70* on Sunday, so I thought the snow forceast was crap. But, sure enough, there was white flaky stuff this am! Yipppeeeee!!!!!!!

16. Minoring In Baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Why not? If he does well, he’ll probably catch on with some team, so he’s really got nothing to lose. Always good to represent your country anyway.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS