Feb 19, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
The Cubs got some good news on Matt Garza, as an MRI exam on his lat injury revealed only a minor strain.
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that Garza will rest for a week, which means his Cactus League debut will be pushed back, but so far at least the injury is nothing that should keep him out for the regular season.
Not only is Garza a key piece of Chicago’s rebuilt rotation, keeping him healthy is important because the Cubs would no doubt love to cash in the impending free agent for some prospect help before the trade deadline.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 20
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 143
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 39
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 23