Feb 19, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
The Cubs got some good news on Matt Garza, as an MRI exam on his lat injury revealed only a minor strain.
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that Garza will rest for a week, which means his Cactus League debut will be pushed back, but so far at least the injury is nothing that should keep him out for the regular season.
Not only is Garza a key piece of Chicago’s rebuilt rotation, keeping him healthy is important because the Cubs would no doubt love to cash in the impending free agent for some prospect help before the trade deadline.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17