Feb 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
This was a thing that was tweeted:
— Chris May (@chrismayphilly) February 19, 2013
I cannot see any possible scenario that has the Phillies landing Stanton from the Marlins absent a direct cash payoff to Jeff Loria in an amount that exceeds the amount in treasuries of multiple oil emirates. And even then it strains credulity because Stanton isn’t 37 years old and past his prime.
Apart from (a) the Marlins not wanting any of the high price talent that Phillies might try to trade; and (b) the Phillies not having any stud prospects which would otherwise be required to land the best young slugger around, this seems like a great plan.
But hey, I suppose weirder things have happened. Don’t know what, but I’m supposing it.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 55
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 18
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29