Feb 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
This was a thing that was tweeted:
— Chris May (@chrismayphilly) February 19, 2013
I cannot see any possible scenario that has the Phillies landing Stanton from the Marlins absent a direct cash payoff to Jeff Loria in an amount that exceeds the amount in treasuries of multiple oil emirates. And even then it strains credulity because Stanton isn’t 37 years old and past his prime.
Apart from (a) the Marlins not wanting any of the high price talent that Phillies might try to trade; and (b) the Phillies not having any stud prospects which would otherwise be required to land the best young slugger around, this seems like a great plan.
But hey, I suppose weirder things have happened. Don’t know what, but I’m supposing it.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)