Feb 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
This was a thing that was tweeted:
— Chris May (@chrismayphilly) February 19, 2013
I cannot see any possible scenario that has the Phillies landing Stanton from the Marlins absent a direct cash payoff to Jeff Loria in an amount that exceeds the amount in treasuries of multiple oil emirates. And even then it strains credulity because Stanton isn’t 37 years old and past his prime.
Apart from (a) the Marlins not wanting any of the high price talent that Phillies might try to trade; and (b) the Phillies not having any stud prospects which would otherwise be required to land the best young slugger around, this seems like a great plan.
But hey, I suppose weirder things have happened. Don’t know what, but I’m supposing it.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)