Feb 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
This was a thing that was tweeted:
— Chris May (@chrismayphilly) February 19, 2013
I cannot see any possible scenario that has the Phillies landing Stanton from the Marlins absent a direct cash payoff to Jeff Loria in an amount that exceeds the amount in treasuries of multiple oil emirates. And even then it strains credulity because Stanton isn’t 37 years old and past his prime.
Apart from (a) the Marlins not wanting any of the high price talent that Phillies might try to trade; and (b) the Phillies not having any stud prospects which would otherwise be required to land the best young slugger around, this seems like a great plan.
But hey, I suppose weirder things have happened. Don’t know what, but I’m supposing it.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 13
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 24
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)