Feb 19, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
It didn’t take long for Alfredo Aceves to piss off another Red Sox manager, as the right-hander who clashed constantly with Bobby Valentine last season refused to do more than lob the ball during a batting practice session Sunday.
Afterward manager John Farrell took Aceves aside for a talking to and Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that general manager Ben Cherington also had a chat with Aceves’ agent, Tom O’Connell:
Cherington told the agent that the Sox value Aceves and want him to be a part of their staff, but also made clear that incidents like the one that took place Sunday won’t be tolerated. … A source indicated Sunday that the Sox believed that Aceves was “absolutely” testing new manager John Farrell.
That’s nice and all, but so far the Red Sox’s version of “not tolerating” Aceves’ behavior involves tendering him a contract via the arbitration process and then signing him to a one-year, $2.65 million deal. Aceves might be crazy, but what does that make them?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)