Feb 19, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for Alfredo Aceves to piss off another Red Sox manager, as the right-hander who clashed constantly with Bobby Valentine last season refused to do more than lob the ball during a batting practice session Sunday.
Afterward manager John Farrell took Aceves aside for a talking to and Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that general manager Ben Cherington also had a chat with Aceves’ agent, Tom O’Connell:
Cherington told the agent that the Sox value Aceves and want him to be a part of their staff, but also made clear that incidents like the one that took place Sunday won’t be tolerated. … A source indicated Sunday that the Sox believed that Aceves was “absolutely” testing new manager John Farrell.
That’s nice and all, but so far the Red Sox’s version of “not tolerating” Aceves’ behavior involves tendering him a contract via the arbitration process and then signing him to a one-year, $2.65 million deal. Aceves might be crazy, but what does that make them?
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 42
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)