Feb 19, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for Alfredo Aceves to piss off another Red Sox manager, as the right-hander who clashed constantly with Bobby Valentine last season refused to do more than lob the ball during a batting practice session Sunday.
Afterward manager John Farrell took Aceves aside for a talking to and Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that general manager Ben Cherington also had a chat with Aceves’ agent, Tom O’Connell:
Cherington told the agent that the Sox value Aceves and want him to be a part of their staff, but also made clear that incidents like the one that took place Sunday won’t be tolerated. … A source indicated Sunday that the Sox believed that Aceves was “absolutely” testing new manager John Farrell.
That’s nice and all, but so far the Red Sox’s version of “not tolerating” Aceves’ behavior involves tendering him a contract via the arbitration process and then signing him to a one-year, $2.65 million deal. Aceves might be crazy, but what does that make them?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 52
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 47
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 73
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (93)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (86)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery