Red Sox think Alfredo Aceves was “testing” John Farrell, say behavior “won’t be tolerated”

Feb 19, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Alfredo Aceves Getty Images

It didn’t take long for Alfredo Aceves to piss off another Red Sox manager, as the right-hander who clashed constantly with Bobby Valentine last season refused to do more than lob the ball during a batting practice session Sunday.

Afterward manager John Farrell took Aceves aside for a talking to and Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that general manager Ben Cherington also had a chat with Aceves’ agent, Tom O’Connell:

Cherington told the agent that the Sox value Aceves and want him to be a part of their staff, but also made clear that incidents like the one that took place Sunday won’t be tolerated. … A source indicated Sunday that the Sox believed that Aceves was “absolutely” testing new manager John Farrell.

That’s nice and all, but so far the Red Sox’s version of “not tolerating” Aceves’ behavior involves tendering him a contract via the arbitration process and then signing him to a one-year, $2.65 million deal. Aceves might be crazy, but what does that make them?

1. stlouis1baseball - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

A teammate needs to “test” Alfredo Aceves’ chin.

• dcfan4life - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Find a leader in that clubhouse first…

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM

It should be their 2nd baseman or DH.

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I nominate Shawn Michaels and his sweet chin music.

2. bigleagues - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM

It makes them practical. Aceves final totals are deceiving. His value comes in his flexibility. They almost certainly will not need him to close any games this year, which is a good thing because he is too emotional. As a spot starter and long reliever he has tremendous value for that $2.65M

3. uyf1950 - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM

As I said yesterday Aceves is a cancer and the only way to rid yourself of a cancer is to cut it out. Now yesterday several fans here disagreed with me. But if the article is to be believed my comment is not that far off. At least that’s my opinion.

• Old Gator - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I had gotten the impression that in MLB, chemotherapy was preferable to surgery. Is that changing now?

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Stand up to cancer!

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM

On point uyf. And this is precisely why he needs his chin “tested.”

4. Old Gator - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Pass the fried chicken – or are we doing quahogs this season?

• buggieowens - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I like the O.G. posts that make me have to google unfamiliar words….are you sure you posted something this pedestrian?

• Old Gator - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Feeling lazy, eh? Okay, I’ll do it for you:

• buggieowens - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I don’t let my students use Wikipedia as a source…I would expect better from someone as intelligent as yourself.

5. autmorsautlibertas - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

What a clown! As a Yankee fan, I will admit that I was sorry when the Yankees let him walk, but apparently he is too STUPID to be a major league pitcher. This is going to be good! Haw Haw Haw!

6. chacochicken - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Aceves could be heard shouting “you’re not my real dad!” as Farrell walked away from the mound.

7. silversun60 - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

We approve this message.

-All Blue Jays Fans

• scrock25 - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Hahahahaha…. Blue Jays.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Idiot.

8. vallewho - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I’m afraid Ace will end up in the Mexican league.

9. beachnbaseball - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I posted this yesterday on the Aceves thread:

Looks like he wanted to see what he could get away with under new guy Farrell. And it looks like he found out. Probably can’t move him (salary) so I’d bury him in the pen or cite some phantom injury and put him on the DL.

10. bostonboy82 - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM

“Testing”, this old loser acts like an 8 year old. I hope someone, anyone, on any team, beats the sh!t outta this guy. He needs to be put in his place….

11. kjericho43 - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM

After all that happened last year? The bullpen has plenty of arms. Cut bait.

12. xpensivewinos - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You’re like one day in to spring training and you’ve already got this malcontent douche bag pulling in the opposite direction.

The Red Sox should have released him on the spot.

13. ajbaxter1975 - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Apparently, crazy doesn’t take a day off.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4000)