Roy Halladay will not get the Phillies Opening Day start

Feb 19, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay wipes his head during a workout at the team's MLB spring training in Clearwater

Roy Halladay has made ten straight Opening Day starts. There will not be an 11th:

Pitching coach Rich Dubee is not ready to announce the Phillies’ opening-day starter in Atlanta, but read between the lines of what he’s saying and you can conclude that the decision is down to Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee.

Not surprising given the year he had last year, the years Lee and Hamels had last year and lingering health concerns.

I would like to know, however, whether anyone believes that this negatively impacts Roy Halladay’s Hall of Fame case. Because I don’t. Indeed, it’s quite silly to say this is a factor at all when it comes to assessing Halladay’s career.

I would like to know, however, whether who think Jack Morris should make the Hall of Fame on the basis of all of his Opening Day starts thinks this matters for Halladay. Because it can’t be some invented standard that only applies to Jack Morris, right?

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM

It’s Cole’s time

• hudsonjc - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Wouldn’t “Hamel-Time” have a better ring to it?

• snowbirdgothic - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I’m not touching that.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Yea, wish I went with that…..I was under the gun to get the first post in.

• tuberippin - Feb 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Everyone aboard the COOOOOLE TRAAAAIIIN

2. cur68 - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Ah, PhilliePhanBating. Its makes the off season just FLY by, doesn’t it?

• Jeremy T - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

While baiting Phillie Phans is certainly fun, he’s really baiting Jack Morris fans in this one, I think.

• cur68 - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I see it as doing both. I’ve seen much, much less interpreted as Phillie Hate. All Craig has to do to bait certain of the PhanBase is post something indicating less than True Phillie Dominance. Sooner or later…apoplectic RAGE.

3. csndrew - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

The notion of “#1 starter” “#2 starter” etc is stupid and overplayed. That said, the idea of a healthy Roy Halladay being any team’s #3 starter is pretty scary.

• stercuilus65 - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM

He’s washed up.

• stercuilus65 - Feb 21, 2013 at 4:20 AM

4. greymares - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM

It’s only the Braves, lol. save him for the home opener.

• El Bravo - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I seriously hope you lauged out loud at that. Shall we wager a bet?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

No way Dude acutally laughed out loud. It wasn’t even remotely funny.
        But I guess he could have some sort of rare, incurable laughing disease.
        If so…he probably did laugh out load.
        Either way…I am betting he did NOT actually laugh out loud.

Qualification: If he does have a strange laughing disease all bets are off.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Yes – we need to save our horses for the Royals :)

• bolweevils2 - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Maybe it’s just that the Phillies think they are better off pitching a lefties against the Braves for whatever reason, and we are reading too much into this.

5. donkeydrew - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM

“does anyone think this will impact his HOF chances? i dont”

seriously? is this what todays journalism has come to? ask obviously asinine questions followed by “i dont believe it, but uh maybe someone does”.

the question you poised might be the dumbest thing ive read

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I think it’s more obvious that you misunderstood what you read or do not understand the context in which it was stated.

• phillyphever - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Or you might want to consult the guys at PFT on how to troll without making it very obivious.

• biasedhomer - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I agree it is a pretty pointless question. If Craig had not brought it up, do you think anyone would actually think about? No, because we all know how irrelevant getting an Opening Day start is.

If Tom Seaver never made an Opening Day start, would he not be in the HOF?

• snowbirdgothic - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Deadpan, kids. It’s what’s for breakfast.

6. uyf1950 - Feb 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

How sweet that must be that you can pass over Halladay as your teams opening day pitcher and still have to choose between Lee and Hamels.

7. patrick10311211 - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM

The post didnt seem biased or like Phillybaiting to me. Good stuff. As a Phils fan its a bad sign that Dubee is admitting this before even one pitch has been thrown in a game. Hoping for a strong bounce-back season from Halladay but those days might be over.

8. whitdog23 - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Hamel-time is only funny if you’re age 40+ otherwise you’re saying WTF?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Sooo…if I am 39 I can’t think “Hamel Time” is funny?
      It matters not…I am older than 39 anyway.
      Your age distinction just caught my eye.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto