The Giants are putting an Anchor Brewing plant on the other side of McCovey Cove

Feb 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

AT&T Park_1

Well, Anchor Brewing is putting an Anchor Brewery there. It will be on what is now known as Pier 48, but is transforming into the Giants-owned* Mission Rock development project sitting on 27 acres across McCovey Cove south of AT&T Park.

The Giants are the landlords. The development plan calls for the brewery, 1,500 apartments, retail and office space. It’ll be quite the scene, man.

Meanwhile, across the bay, the Athletics have some leads on a taco truck that might maybe want to park outside the Coliseum on alternate weekends, assuming a good spot next to some bars in Berkeley doesn’t open up first.

*Correction: The Giants currently rent the land on which the brewery is going to go and use it for parking. The Giants have some sort of partnership with the city for the development of the land, but they don’t own it.

1. temporarilyexiled - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Bars…in Berkeley?…WOOO!!!

• sfgiantsfanforever - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Holy Cow! You must be a Loooooong time Bay Area resident- Memorable commercial!

2. skerney - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Guys, now people will be getting drunk at baseball games.

3. daveitsgood - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

If it means they stop serving that putrid piss, sierra nevada, I’m all for it.
    Besides, everybody knows the best taco trucks are on international in Oakland and they’re not giving up the choice location for the coliseum.

• bobulated - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Dave is obviously a gentleman of discerning taste who prefers over-processed slightly pilsner flavored rice water the smooth elegance and consistency of Bud and Miller.

• daveitsgood - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I believe you are thinking of the smooth elegance and rich body of PBR, sir. I’ll take an Anchor Steam, Anchor Porter or Lagunitas IPA or a Great White Ale, Indica IPA or Downtown Brown before drinking a Sierra Nevada. Point being, if a local brew is going into my koozie, it won’t be Chico’s finest.

• polonelmeagrejr - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Always liked Anchor,WEven after I got acquainted some of the better craft beers and ales.

• hardballtalkusername - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I can’t believe there are people who don’t like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. My faith in humanity is gone.

4. APBA Guy - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

There goes the parking lot. 1500 apartments is a lot of people, considering the start-up boomlet right now is restricted to downtown SF. At 5 guys per apt, Anchor Steam should do really well until the next crash.

• cosanostra71 - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM

There’s at least 1500 apartments (actually, probably a lot more) in the Angels Stadium parking lot. It’s not really that big of a deal.

5. jarathen - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Anchor Brewing makes great beer. This is a win for everyone who likes good beer.

• bobulated - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

And one of the best and friendliest brewery tours in the known universe if you are ever in SF in the summer. Definitely worth reserving a spot if visiting.

• goawaydog - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM

there is no summer in SF, unless you visit in October

• sportsdrenched - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I was living in Texas in August when I took a business trip to the Bay Area. Going from 105* to an evening at what was then PacBell Park was a major shock to the system.

• bobulated - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM

@ Jarathen; True, but it’s nice to give out of town folks some frame of reference…

6. fissels - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Anchor steam is one of the best beers/ ales I’ve ever had!

7. schlom - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Does anyone know whether the Giants bought the land that this is going on or were given it by the city?

8. sportsdrenched - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Never had anything by Anchor, but to see craft brewer expanding into a prime area is good news. Now I’m going to check and see if they export to my area.

• jarathen - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM

If you have a local liquor store (a real one, not a gas station), you should be able to find it. Anchor Steam is a great beer, very drinkable. Which is to say it’s not a beer snob beer, nor is it a mass-produced unflavored beer. It’s just a good beer to drink.

• sportsdrenched - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Just checked my local store (Not a gas station. Usually if a brewer has a distribution agreement into the state; they stock it. I won’t buy my alcohol anywhere else.) They do carry it. I’ll check it out on the next trip.

9. ytownjoe - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I’m confused. Is this a baseball story or a beer story?

No comments from A’s fans?

10. nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM

So, reviewing: offices, apartments, a brewery and an MLB ballpark all within walking distance? If the office jobs pay well enough to actually rent one of the apartments, well, wow.

11. pipkin42 - Feb 19, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Well, another reason to avoid that part of the city entirely.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2757)