Feb 20, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Albert Pujols declined to play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic because he’s still recovering from offseason knee surgery and now it turns out he won’t be playing any spring training games for a while either.
Pujols told reporters today that he’s targeting mid-March for his Cactus League debut, which would give him about two weeks to get ready for the season.
Pujols’ knee surgery was called “minor” and there’s no indication that his status for Opening Day is in jeopardy, but four months after going under the knife his recovery is still an issue.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)