Feb 20, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Albert Pujols declined to play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic because he’s still recovering from offseason knee surgery and now it turns out he won’t be playing any spring training games for a while either.
Pujols told reporters today that he’s targeting mid-March for his Cactus League debut, which would give him about two weeks to get ready for the season.
Pujols’ knee surgery was called “minor” and there’s no indication that his status for Opening Day is in jeopardy, but four months after going under the knife his recovery is still an issue.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)