Feb 20, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
Alfredo Aceves refused to throw the ball at anything resembling full speed during his first live batting practice session of spring training Sunday, which resulted in new Red Sox manager John Farrell giving him a talking to and general manager Ben Cherington discussing things with Aceves’ agent.
Aceves tried to do some damage control/clarifying today, telling reporters:
It was just miscommunication. That’s all it was. I apologized for that and now we’re on track.
Imagine how bad everyone’s communication skills must be for “don’t lob the ball to the plate” to result in a “miscommunication.” Anyway, Aceves threw batting practice today without any incidents and Farrell said nice things about him.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)