Alfredo Aceves: “It was just miscommunication”

Feb 20, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT

Alfredo Aceves Getty Images

Alfredo Aceves refused to throw the ball at anything resembling full speed during his first live batting practice session of spring training Sunday, which resulted in new Red Sox manager John Farrell giving him a talking to and general manager Ben Cherington discussing things with Aceves’ agent.

Aceves tried to do some damage control/clarifying today, telling reporters:

It was just miscommunication. That’s all it was. I apologized for that and now we’re on track.

Imagine how bad everyone’s communication skills must be for “don’t lob the ball to the plate” to result in a “miscommunication.” Anyway, Aceves threw batting practice today without any incidents and Farrell said nice things about him.

1. anxovies - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM

“But I WANT to lob the ball to the plate!”

2. razorbyrd - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Aceves is a punk, plain & simple…

3. tfbuckfutter - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I think he was just upset that he had to throw batting practice when, judging by last season, he already has throwing batting practice down pat.

4. kiwicricket - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Is ‘miscommunication’ near ‘misremembered’ in the dictionary? I can’t seem to find either.
    Regardless, he is still a dick.

5. bostonboy82 - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Shut up masshole.

6. captainwisdom8888 - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I was at Citizens Bank Park heckling Alfredo nonstop with my buddies. We were getting pretty reckless, saying some things that would prompt earmuffs on young ones, getting the whole “warning” from stadium security and all that. Aceves shot us a few glances but was otherwise stoic during the verbal bombardment, just chewing on his gum and watching the game. This is when I viciously demanded Alfredo to provide my friends and I with “some of that double bubble”, otherwise the heckling would surely continue. About 10 minutes later after Alfredo walks away from our vision, dozens of pieces of bubble gum come flying up at us all and we’re grabbing em like beads at Mardi gras s reaming Alfredoooooooooo!!!

He’s a solid dude in my book. Lol

7. tc4306 - Feb 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Would hate to see Farrell having problems with his “dream team.”
    NOT!!

8. baseballisboring - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Just nip this problem in the bud. I’d understand tolerating shit like this if he was a star but…

9. deathmonkey41 - Feb 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

The miscommunication is easily explained. Aceves speaks crazy, Farrell does not.

10. pisano - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM

If he was smart he’d have stayed a malcontent in spring training and hope for a trade. The writings on the wall for Alfredo, he will be the new Boston whipping boy all summer. Have a nice season Alfredo.

11. nemike - Feb 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Aceves is one of the weak links on the roster. He is, for all intents and purposes, useless. I would dump him ASAP and bring in a young arm……………….

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3956)