Bryce Harper eats Fruity Pebbles and Cap’n Crunch at midnight. Stays healthy.

Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT

Bryce Harper

Guy is 20, so it’s not like him being in great shape is news, but this kind of thing practically qualifies you for the BSOHL club:

The reigning National League rookie of the year reported to spring training nearly 20 pounds heavier than his playing weight at the end of last season, a chiseled, linebacker-sized 6 feet 3, 230 pounds, ready for the physical and mental rigors of his second season in the major leagues.

The Post’s James Wagner reports how he became such an Adonis, including an extreme exercise regimen and lots of carbs. But like any other youngster, the kid can eat anything he wants and still stay healthy:

What sustains him is breakfast — his favorite meal of the day — and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich just before games start … “I just eat as much as I can,” Harper added. “I don’t really care. I don’t really have a diet. I’m still going to eat Fruity Pebbles and Captain Crunch and all these cereals at 12 o’clock at night. I don’t really care.”

In other news,  If I eat a bowl of Fruity Pebbles it feels like my heart is about to explode. Related: I will be twice Harper’s age when I turn 40 this summer. As of now I feel about four times his age.

1. unclemosesgreen - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM

That’s the old C.C. Sabathia diet – boxes and boxes of cereal every day. Of course, the longer you duel with Cap’n Crunch, the harder it becomes to do crunches.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM

sounds like Harper has the munchies from smoking funny looking fat ones.

2. Ben - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Mmmm diabetes.

• natstowngreg - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Perhaps, after his career ends. When, like too many pro athletes, he isn’t as active, but eats the same. That’s a long way off.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Mmmm diabetes.

3. zzalapski - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

He’s still got some time before he has to switch from his seefood diet (“see food, eat food”). Might as well enjoy it while he can.

4. sportsdrenched - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Makes sense, you have to have calorie surplus to build muscle. That and he’s 20, and a professional athlete, meaning he has the time to workout like…a professional athlete.

Even a 20 year desk jockey couldn’t get away with that for too long.

5. donkeydrew - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

your heart feels like its going to explode from fruity pebbles? uh ok… thats… werid.

6. El Bravo - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM

mmmmmm pie

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Mmmmmmm boulliabaise, accompanied by a chilled glass of 1984 Pouligny-Montrachet, crusty French bread garlic croutons and a peach creme broulee drizzled with Cassis for dessert.

Fuck Fruity Pebbles.

• El Bravo - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yeah I want that.

• theoneandonlykill - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I rather have a nice BOTTLE of1988 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

• anxovies - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM

How about fava beans and a nice chianti?

7. echech88 - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I remember some writer (maybe Law?) wondering about Harper’s frame a couple years ago and how it could fill out similar to someone like Adam Dunn in his later years.

I imagine, like Trout, his diet will fall in line as he gets older and realizes his body responds better to better food. Right now he can eat whatever he wants and it won’t matter.

8. natstowngreg - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Thanks a freakin’ lot, Craig. Got back from working out my poor excuse for a sixtysomething body, hoping to forestall dropping dead, and you hit me with a story of some genetic freak kid who can eat whatever junk he wants. Makes one want to go to the Papa John’s near one’s office and scarf down a large 6-topping pizza, out of sheer depression.

Of course, if Young Mr. Harper uses his genetic freakishness to help bring the Nats more wins, I’ll cope somehow.

9. atltoarizona - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

When he’s 21 they better not let Beckett anywhere near him or those Fruity Pebbles and Captain Crunch will turn into fried chicken and beer.

• amartland - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Yes, because as a 20 year-old professional athlete, access to beer must be nigh impossible!

• cur68 - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM

He belongs to one of the alcohol free mythologies (mormon, I think). Even if he was old enough to drink, he wouldn’t be allowed to under the rules of his people.

Technically, he’s Beckett-Proof.

• amartland - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM

if “Beckett-Proof” doesn’t become a new metric to measure potential FA signings by, I don’t want to live on this planet anymore

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Speaking of alcohol free mythologies, whaddya wanna bet Joseph Campbell could have written about Brigham Young and downed a sixpack of Harp at the same time?

• 18thstreet - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Fried chicken and beer? I don’t get it. Is this some sort of brand-new, timely inside joke I’ve never heard before?

10. sabatimus - Feb 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Go ahead Bryce: eat what you want now. When you get into your thirties, important things like metabolism start to get in your way :D

11. theoneandonlykill - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Wait until he starts drinking micro beers.

12. kevinbnyc - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Where are all the idiots saying he must be using PEDs???

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet