Feb 20, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
This will probably set talk radio and the tabloids afire for a day or so, even if it’s pretty meaningless. Here’s David Price, talking to Jon Paul Morosi about the possibility of him being traded by the Rays this year because of approaching free agency:
“If I ever did hit that free-agent market, there would be teams I wouldn’t sign with simply because of the stuff that I’ve heard – every rule they have” … Taking note of his beard, I told Price he’d have to shave if the Yankees traded for him.
“I wouldn’t stay there very long then,” he responded. “I wouldn’t sign a long-term deal there. Those rules, that’s old-school baseball. I was born in ’85. That’s not for me. That’s not something I want to be a part of.”
I think facial hair policies are silly too. But I’m also pretty sure if the Yankees made Price an offer which was clearly superior to any other teams when he hits free agency, he’d figure out a way to make rules like that work, even if he was born in 1985.
In other news, remember when the Reds had a facial hair policy? They did for years, actually. You know who they scrapped it for: Greg Vaughn of all people. That never ceases to make me smile.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 6
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 11
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 29
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3