David Price says he wouldn’t sign with the Yankees because of their facial hair policy

Feb 20, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT

David Price Getty Getty Images

This will probably set talk radio and the tabloids afire for a day or so, even if it’s pretty meaningless. Here’s David Price, talking to Jon Paul Morosi about the possibility of him being traded by the Rays this year because of approaching free agency:

“If I ever did hit that free-agent market, there would be teams I wouldn’t sign with simply because of the stuff that I’ve heard – every rule they have” … Taking note of his beard, I told Price he’d have to shave if the Yankees traded for him.

“I wouldn’t stay there very long then,” he responded. “I wouldn’t sign a long-term deal there. Those rules, that’s old-school baseball. I was born in ’85. That’s not for me. That’s not something I want to be a part of.”

I think facial hair policies are silly too. But I’m also pretty sure if the Yankees made Price an offer which was clearly superior to any other teams when he hits free agency, he’d figure out a way to make rules like that work, even if he was born in 1985.

In other news, remember when the Reds had a facial hair policy? They did for years, actually. You know who they scrapped it for: Greg Vaughn of all people. That never ceases to make me smile.

106 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. yahmule - Feb 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Price went on to say, “Piss on New York in general and the Yankees in particular”.

• badintent - Feb 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM

“And I don’t like that Boston fried Chicken grease all over my kisser either”

This message was approved by Booby Valentine

2. buffalomafia - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I’d shave my balls for the right money!

• Glen - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I’d shave your balls for the right money, too.

3. buffalo65 - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I wouldn’t sign with the Yanks only because they are gonna suck for the next 5 years paying out their geriatric baseball team.

4. mj1818 - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I bet I could name 100 million reasons why he would shave if he had to.

• 410baltimore - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM

They don’t print $2 bills anymore.

5. turdfurgerson68 - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Price is a moron. Shave, sign for huge the huge $$$ with the yankees, and then retire after the deal.

Then grow out the beard an move to a palace in Williamsburg….you hipster doofus!

6. jimeejohnson - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Yogi Berra would look good with a beard, or at least a goatee.

7. jessethegreat - Feb 21, 2013 at 12:44 AM

It’s ok Price, you’re not old enough to play for my Yanks anyways.

Seriously though… Can we at least ATTEMPT to get younger? PLEASE?

8. xjokerz - Feb 21, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Why the hell is some vet comparing the MLB to the army ? Man you weren’t drafted you signed up get off your high horse. And lol @ you called it the entitled generation .. Maybe if your generation didnt fuck shit up politically and socially our younger generation wouldn’t have to be so ” entitled ” as you put it. Goon

9. Jordy Verrill - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Good for him. I turned down a good job before because they wanted me to be clean shaven. Facial hair policies are silly.

10. polonelmeagrejr - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Seems and sounds like a pretty regular guy, like a hockey player. Doesn’t he know baseball players aren’t supposed to be honest? In the future many of the athletes will just respond to potentially controversial questions with a two word answer “Derek Jeter” – recognized as shorthand for ” I”m not going to say anything that will allow you to create a controversy.” I think it would save everyone a bunch of time.

11. giantssb42champs - Feb 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM

For the comment about Lincoln – I’m not aware of the Yankees having a stoved hat policy. Although apparently you can’t pitch with a vintage Babe Ruth cap.

12. 1zzo - Feb 21, 2013 at 4:07 PM

His beard is barely longer than the stubble that Jorge Posada had on a daily basis.

13. imthedudedude - Feb 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I wouldn’t sign with Tampa because even when they are good, fans don’t show up.

14. deadrabbit79 - Feb 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Win every year or grow a beard? Win every year or grow a beard? Can i sleep on that and get back to you in the morning?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5373)