Feb 20, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
This will probably set talk radio and the tabloids afire for a day or so, even if it’s pretty meaningless. Here’s David Price, talking to Jon Paul Morosi about the possibility of him being traded by the Rays this year because of approaching free agency:
“If I ever did hit that free-agent market, there would be teams I wouldn’t sign with simply because of the stuff that I’ve heard – every rule they have” … Taking note of his beard, I told Price he’d have to shave if the Yankees traded for him.
“I wouldn’t stay there very long then,” he responded. “I wouldn’t sign a long-term deal there. Those rules, that’s old-school baseball. I was born in ’85. That’s not for me. That’s not something I want to be a part of.”
I think facial hair policies are silly too. But I’m also pretty sure if the Yankees made Price an offer which was clearly superior to any other teams when he hits free agency, he’d figure out a way to make rules like that work, even if he was born in 1985.
In other news, remember when the Reds had a facial hair policy? They did for years, actually. You know who they scrapped it for: Greg Vaughn of all people. That never ceases to make me smile.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)