Feb 20, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
This will probably set talk radio and the tabloids afire for a day or so, even if it’s pretty meaningless. Here’s David Price, talking to Jon Paul Morosi about the possibility of him being traded by the Rays this year because of approaching free agency:
“If I ever did hit that free-agent market, there would be teams I wouldn’t sign with simply because of the stuff that I’ve heard – every rule they have” … Taking note of his beard, I told Price he’d have to shave if the Yankees traded for him.
“I wouldn’t stay there very long then,” he responded. “I wouldn’t sign a long-term deal there. Those rules, that’s old-school baseball. I was born in ’85. That’s not for me. That’s not something I want to be a part of.”
I think facial hair policies are silly too. But I’m also pretty sure if the Yankees made Price an offer which was clearly superior to any other teams when he hits free agency, he’d figure out a way to make rules like that work, even if he was born in 1985.
In other news, remember when the Reds had a facial hair policy? They did for years, actually. You know who they scrapped it for: Greg Vaughn of all people. That never ceases to make me smile.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)