Feb 20, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
This will probably set talk radio and the tabloids afire for a day or so, even if it’s pretty meaningless. Here’s David Price, talking to Jon Paul Morosi about the possibility of him being traded by the Rays this year because of approaching free agency:
“If I ever did hit that free-agent market, there would be teams I wouldn’t sign with simply because of the stuff that I’ve heard – every rule they have” … Taking note of his beard, I told Price he’d have to shave if the Yankees traded for him.
“I wouldn’t stay there very long then,” he responded. “I wouldn’t sign a long-term deal there. Those rules, that’s old-school baseball. I was born in ’85. That’s not for me. That’s not something I want to be a part of.”
I think facial hair policies are silly too. But I’m also pretty sure if the Yankees made Price an offer which was clearly superior to any other teams when he hits free agency, he’d figure out a way to make rules like that work, even if he was born in 1985.
In other news, remember when the Reds had a facial hair policy? They did for years, actually. You know who they scrapped it for: Greg Vaughn of all people. That never ceases to make me smile.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 41
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)