Feb 20, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
An MRI taken in early February — just before Felix Hernandez inked a record seven-year, $175 million contract extension with Seattle — revealed some potential long-term issues in the 26-year-old right-hander’s pitching elbow. But all is well for now.
According to beat writer Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Hernandez was brimming with confidence after throwing his first bullpen session of the spring on Wednesday afternoon in Mariners camp.
“I was waiting for it for a long time,” Hernandez said of the 33-pitch indoor throwing session, which lasted about 10 minutes. “Now that I feel good, I’m going to just keep going out there like normal and go with my routine and prepare for the games.” Check the Seattle Times’ website for video of the workout.
“I thought he looked free and easy and looked really good for his first time out,” added skipper Eric Wedge.
“King Felix” registered a stellar 3.06 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 223/56 K/BB ratio across 232 innings last season. If all continues to go smoothly, he will start on Opening Day — April 1 — against the Athletics.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)