J.J. Putz is in The Best Shape of his Life

Feb 20, 2013, 6:14 AM EDT

We already knew that Trevor Cahill was, but add J.J. Putz to the mix. For he, like Cahill, went gluten and dairy free:

I’m having a hard enough time cutting carbs from my diet. How one can go totally gluten and dairy free is beyond me. But bully for them.

1. Tim's Neighbor - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Paleo diet I’m guessing? It’s not so bad. It’s huge in the Crossfit world*. It definitely works on cutting weight. Plus it means lots of meat and bacon.

*Cult

2. atltoarizona - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I won’t believe it until he shaves that tuft of hair on his chin.

3. paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

When you make enough money to hire a dietitian and/or cook…it is probably a LOT easier to go on specific diets while still having a variety of options.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM

This. Also, when your body is your #1 tool for your occupation, not only can you do this but you can write it all off as business expenses. Face it, the everyday person who is a lawyer, doctor, computer programmer, blogger, etc. keep in shape in between working 40, 50, 60 hours a week. For these guys, staying in shape IS their job. And they are paid very well to do it. For the everyday person, staying in shape is a luxury.

• IdahoMariner - Feb 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM

yeah, it has taken my family a good three to four years to get mostly gluten free (i am the holdout, since i don’t have any problem with gluten, so I still eat regular bread). Years of figuring out the best gluten free replacement products (getting better options all the time), the best mix of flours to get baked stuff to taste great. having the means to pay someone to devise your diet and prepare it would be awesome.

4. hpt150 - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Cutting out grains and processed sugars isn’t a big deal. Cutting out all dairy as well is tough. No cream in my coffee? No thank you. It does cut weight though – lost 60 lbs in 6 months.

• Tim's Neighbor - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Even when I was pretty faithful to paleo, I still had a hard time giving up creamer. Almond milk made for a solid substitute.

/feels smug about self
      /takes drink of coffee with creamer

5. jtpercell - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Speaking from personal experience, the key to going gluten free is having a wife that decides to go gluten free.

6. anxovies - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Gluten. Is that the stuff in the little bottles with rubber tops that we used to paste things in grade school?

• kopy - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I think gluten is just German for glue.

7. kopy - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Neil Walker, 2B/3B – PIT
    Ryan Howard, 1B/DH – PHI
    Carlos Quentin, OF – SD

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Where’s Coach Baker?

• kopy - Feb 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Shoot, I was going to add him, too. He’ll be on the next time around. A team without a manager to pull levers is like a ship without a rudder, or something.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM

It’s about time Kopy. Where were you yesterday?
      Now we got Double Switch Dusty Managing the team. And I am worried about it.

8. yankeepunk3000 - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

whoa he was serious, no gluten? shit just got real

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3703)