Feb 20, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
There were some issues with Jenrry Mejia‘s age and identity causing him to not get his visa and to be late to Mets camp. Those issues have been resolved, however, as the Mets have announced that Mejia’s age and identity have been confirmed.
Turns out he’s really Saul Birnbaum. He’s 78 years-old and retired to Boca Raton after a quite successful career in the insurance business, if Saul may be so immodest to say.
OK, no. He’s Mejia and he’s the age he said he was. The Birnbaum thing would have been way more interesting, though.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)