Feb 20, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
There were some issues with Jenrry Mejia‘s age and identity causing him to not get his visa and to be late to Mets camp. Those issues have been resolved, however, as the Mets have announced that Mejia’s age and identity have been confirmed.
Turns out he’s really Saul Birnbaum. He’s 78 years-old and retired to Boca Raton after a quite successful career in the insurance business, if Saul may be so immodest to say.
OK, no. He’s Mejia and he’s the age he said he was. The Birnbaum thing would have been way more interesting, though.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 62
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)