Feb 20, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
The headline pretty much says it all about Jeff Passan’s story at Yahoo! today. Journeyman pitcher Juan Sandoval, blinded in his right eye by buckshot several years ago, is in Tampa Bay Rays camp trying to make the team.
He’s 32 and he’s spent the past couple of years in the Mexican League after failing to find a home in a big league origination, but the Rays are taking a chance on the live-armed reliever.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)