Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Phil Hughes injured his back during fielding drills Monday and an MRI exam revealed a bulging disk.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Hughes will be out “for at least a week” and is taking anti-inflammatory medication.
Hughes expressed optimism about being totally pain free in 4-5 days, but obviously a bulging disk in a pitcher’s back is not your typical “don’t worry about it” early spring training injury and he’s had back problems down the stretch in each of the past two seasons.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)