Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Phil Hughes injured his back during fielding drills Monday and an MRI exam revealed a bulging disk.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Hughes will be out “for at least a week” and is taking anti-inflammatory medication.
Hughes expressed optimism about being totally pain free in 4-5 days, but obviously a bulging disk in a pitcher’s back is not your typical “don’t worry about it” early spring training injury and he’s had back problems down the stretch in each of the past two seasons.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)