Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Phil Hughes injured his back during fielding drills Monday and an MRI exam revealed a bulging disk.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Hughes will be out “for at least a week” and is taking anti-inflammatory medication.
Hughes expressed optimism about being totally pain free in 4-5 days, but obviously a bulging disk in a pitcher’s back is not your typical “don’t worry about it” early spring training injury and he’s had back problems down the stretch in each of the past two seasons.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 7
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)