Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Phil Hughes injured his back during fielding drills Monday and an MRI exam revealed a bulging disk.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Hughes will be out “for at least a week” and is taking anti-inflammatory medication.
Hughes expressed optimism about being totally pain free in 4-5 days, but obviously a bulging disk in a pitcher’s back is not your typical “don’t worry about it” early spring training injury and he’s had back problems down the stretch in each of the past two seasons.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)