Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Phil Hughes injured his back during fielding drills Monday and an MRI exam revealed a bulging disk.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Hughes will be out “for at least a week” and is taking anti-inflammatory medication.
Hughes expressed optimism about being totally pain free in 4-5 days, but obviously a bulging disk in a pitcher’s back is not your typical “don’t worry about it” early spring training injury and he’s had back problems down the stretch in each of the past two seasons.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)