Feb 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
Stephen Silver implores sportswriters to resist the “Steroids Theory of Everything”:
For as long as steroids have been a sports topic, the “Steroids Theory of Everything” has been one of the laziest sportswriter tropes around. Ballplayer’s having a good season? Must be on the juice. Off to a bad start? He must’ve been on the ‘roids, until last week, when he stopped and forgot how to hit. Looking a little more jacked this spring than last? I think I know why. And while there may be no evidence, when that guy’s up for Hall of Fame consideration in 15 years, he doesn’t get my vote.
I haven’t been following this story in any real way, but Silver notes that, with the reports of PEDs in Oscar Pistorius’ apartment, the sporting press is starting to play armchair police, chalking up the motive to Pistorius’ alleged acts to ‘roid rage.
It’s more extreme than which we’ve seen in baseball, but it’s similar in kind. People who do not know any more facts than the rest of us (and far less than the authorities), possess no special expertise or insight to the matter at hand, yet nonetheless have no compunction about weighing in with their faux-smart speculation.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 6
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 60
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)