Feb 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
Stephen Silver implores sportswriters to resist the “Steroids Theory of Everything”:
For as long as steroids have been a sports topic, the “Steroids Theory of Everything” has been one of the laziest sportswriter tropes around. Ballplayer’s having a good season? Must be on the juice. Off to a bad start? He must’ve been on the ‘roids, until last week, when he stopped and forgot how to hit. Looking a little more jacked this spring than last? I think I know why. And while there may be no evidence, when that guy’s up for Hall of Fame consideration in 15 years, he doesn’t get my vote.
I haven’t been following this story in any real way, but Silver notes that, with the reports of PEDs in Oscar Pistorius’ apartment, the sporting press is starting to play armchair police, chalking up the motive to Pistorius’ alleged acts to ‘roid rage.
It’s more extreme than which we’ve seen in baseball, but it’s similar in kind. People who do not know any more facts than the rest of us (and far less than the authorities), possess no special expertise or insight to the matter at hand, yet nonetheless have no compunction about weighing in with their faux-smart speculation.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (251)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)