Feb 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
Stephen Silver implores sportswriters to resist the “Steroids Theory of Everything”:
For as long as steroids have been a sports topic, the “Steroids Theory of Everything” has been one of the laziest sportswriter tropes around. Ballplayer’s having a good season? Must be on the juice. Off to a bad start? He must’ve been on the ‘roids, until last week, when he stopped and forgot how to hit. Looking a little more jacked this spring than last? I think I know why. And while there may be no evidence, when that guy’s up for Hall of Fame consideration in 15 years, he doesn’t get my vote.
I haven’t been following this story in any real way, but Silver notes that, with the reports of PEDs in Oscar Pistorius’ apartment, the sporting press is starting to play armchair police, chalking up the motive to Pistorius’ alleged acts to ‘roid rage.
It’s more extreme than which we’ve seen in baseball, but it’s similar in kind. People who do not know any more facts than the rest of us (and far less than the authorities), possess no special expertise or insight to the matter at hand, yet nonetheless have no compunction about weighing in with their faux-smart speculation.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)