Feb 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
Stephen Silver implores sportswriters to resist the “Steroids Theory of Everything”:
For as long as steroids have been a sports topic, the “Steroids Theory of Everything” has been one of the laziest sportswriter tropes around. Ballplayer’s having a good season? Must be on the juice. Off to a bad start? He must’ve been on the ‘roids, until last week, when he stopped and forgot how to hit. Looking a little more jacked this spring than last? I think I know why. And while there may be no evidence, when that guy’s up for Hall of Fame consideration in 15 years, he doesn’t get my vote.
I haven’t been following this story in any real way, but Silver notes that, with the reports of PEDs in Oscar Pistorius’ apartment, the sporting press is starting to play armchair police, chalking up the motive to Pistorius’ alleged acts to ‘roid rage.
It’s more extreme than which we’ve seen in baseball, but it’s similar in kind. People who do not know any more facts than the rest of us (and far less than the authorities), possess no special expertise or insight to the matter at hand, yet nonetheless have no compunction about weighing in with their faux-smart speculation.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 3
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 3
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 26
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)