Quote of the Day: Derek Jeter on David Price’s facial hair stance

Feb 20, 2013, 5:00 PM EST

New York Yankees Photo Day Getty Images

David Price won’t sign with the Yankees if it means shaving his beard? Please. The Captain knows what time it is. From Mark Feinsand of the Daily News:

“Do you really think some player would say no, all things considered, if it was a good deal for them? I’m not talking about his situation, but if it was a good deal for a player, I’m pretty sure most guys – maybe not all guys – would have no trouble shaving. Maybe it means a lot to him. I don’t know.”

As my friends Jason and Stacey like to say: it’s about the money. Jeter speaks wisdom.

No word what Jeter thinks of Joba Chamberlain‘s facial hair, but I hope Judge Mariano Rivera fines him $500 in Yankees kangaroo court over that atrocity.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Thanks for the love, Craig.

2. thebadguyswon - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Can Jeter even grow facial hair?

• fanofevilempire - Feb 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM

that chick Hannah will put some hair on ya chest.
      oh boy!

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM

All he can grow is a fancy John Waters mustache.

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I dunno. He’s always been the poster boy for neoteny, hasn’t he?

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM

David Price and the $50MM beard

4. paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM

That’s the thing though….isn’t it? It is very easy for someone that doesn’t value something (Jeter not valuing facial hair) to suggest that it should be easy for someone else to give it up.

If someone offered me a free house, but as a condition I would have to give up my dogs….well, no house for me. I realize that many people would think me crazy….but that is because those people don’t value dogs the way I do….and because there are lots of houses to live in, I have the option to have both a house and dogs.

Similarly, because there are a many of teams that will offer to pay Price $100M+ to pitch for them, and because $100M is already more than Price could ever hope to need, and because all of those teams but one would also allow him to keep his beard, there are better options than just the money….and there are plenty of recent examples of players not taking the most money because of other considerations.

• gigab0t - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I see where you’re coming from, but dogs do not equal facial hair. You can just grow your hair back when you’re done playing baseball, and you’ll still have that $100M in the bank. It’s a small sacrifice to make for a huge payout.

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, no analogy is perfect. The point is….there will be a lot of great deals for price to sign that allow him to grow hair where ever he wants it…and even if one deal is slightly better, it won’t have any effect on his quality of life….ever. For example, Pujols took the most money. That’s fine….now instead of making at least $310M over his career, he’ll make at least $340M over his career. That $30M will not have any effect whatsoever on his quality of life (or that of his kids or grand kids), but the choice to go for the extra $30M did have a big effect on how the rest of his life will play out, that he now has to live away from home for 1/2 the year, that he will never be considered an all-time great Cardinal like Musial or Gibson….a lot of things will be different…..all for money that won’t have any effect on his life.

• GoneYickitty - Feb 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Good point, but I do think this is a little different. I don’t want to be a yes-man because I think it’s dirty and cheap and I wouldn’t like myself. I could say no later, but that would never change the fact I spent those years saying yes. I don’t want to be under the thumb of morons who want me to do and say dumb things just because it suits their fancy and their egotistical delusions of reality. I don’t think Price cares as much about the growth of hair on his face as he does about being subservient to stupid rules and the pompous asses who propagate them.

• djpostl - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yeah but using your same logic how many guys like Albert Pujols would have never left the team they came up with/city they loved?

It is amazing how an extra $10-20M can have an impact on a decision when you are holding that offer sheet.

Maybe Price truly means it but we’ve all heard a variation of this song & dance about 4563728 times over the last decade and how many times did the guy take substantially less?

Hardly any.

• paperlions - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:30 AM

We actually have no idea how often guys have taken substantially less, they aren’t public auctions with known bids…..we also don’t know how often the team that offered the most was also the team a guy would have chosen if every team offered the same $$. There have been plenty of reports of guys taking less than reported offers from other teams….but people (fans and media alike) often dismiss them as PR.

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

This is the wrong crowd for proponing anything but gross material excess.

• anxovies - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM

When you get that deal in writing give me the house and you can have my dogs too.

• paperlions - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Sounds like it’ll be a great deal for both you and your dogs.

5. thebadguyswon - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The part of this story people are forgetting is that David Price is going to get paid whether the Yankees are involved or not.

• gigab0t - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM

also true

• davidpom50 - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Yep. The Yankees aren’t even the biggest, baddest spender around anymore.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Gotta funny feeling Texas would open up the vault.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM

true, they are money cautious now.

• rpb1234 - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Price has already stated that he is looking to reset the bar. He talks about the players coming after him. The question is: How much is the beard worth? At the pay scale he is talking about, he probably would take slightly less to keep his beard. He might be ok taking $200K less. What about $1M? $5M.

Price could “get paid” by the Rays. It would not be as much as he would get on the open market. He wants to get paid.

I doubt that the beard premium would be more than a few 100K

• fanofevilempire - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM

it doesn’t matter what kind of discount he has to shave the beard.
        who said the Yankees want to sign him anyway.

6. historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Hold out for a basket, Price!

7. APBA Guy - Feb 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Well, what’s the current bar. King Felix at $ 25M per. If Price wants more than that, and he may get it given the TV money sloshing around, and assuming he has another Cy Young type year, you can only imagine what Verlander and Kershaw will get.

8. turdfurgerson68 - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Price is a moron. Shave, sign for huge the huge $$$ with the yankees, and then retire after the deal.

Then grow out the beard an move to a palace in Williamsburg….you hipster doofus!

• albertmn - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM

You appeared to have selected a very appropriate moniker!

9. steelerhypocrite - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Get off your high horse Yankees…you play for a city that now allows the killing of babies for ANY reason, at ANY time in the pregnancy. You “work” in a dump of a city, so who cares about some stupid facial hair rule…

• indaburg - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Troll says what?

• cur68 - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:45 PM

That’s some crazy shit, right there. Ready a Special Valentine while I go look for the blow gun, eh? I think I saw the dog with it…

• indaburg - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Shall l double the dosage for this one?

• cur68 - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Good idea. And we’ll double the ECT as well. Dude’s mental.

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Man, the night trolls have been weirdly moralistic of late — and not even in a thoughtful or entertaining way. Sheesus, I need a baseball game.

• indaburg - Feb 21, 2013 at 6:53 AM

You read my mind.

• juliath83 - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM

…and you have a totalitarian mayor who wants to regulate how much soda a grown man can drink. Actually, the no-shave policy in New York makes sense now, doesn’t it?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Actually that’s not the policy, but congrats on the inability to read.

• paperlions - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Ah yes, I love me some “pro-lifers” that don’t care what happens to the child once its born…yep, far better to have millions more unwanted children around for society to take care of rather than not. Yes, it would be great if every unborn child was wanted by its parents, but that isn’t the world we live in.

• historiophiliac - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Yankee pro-life trolls was a category I was previously unfamiliar with.

• paperlions - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Considering the odious attitude toward NYC, I would guess it is an Anti-Yankee pro-life troll….are the bridges safe to cross during the day?

• historiophiliac - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I stand corrected. Apparently, they only come out at night, so day crossings should be okay. Man, I need a baseball game…

• anxovies - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

When I visit NY I always take a Big Gulp cup with me and dump 2 or 3 of those little drinks in it. I was almost arrested last time but I had also smuggled in a foot long hot dog and I clubbed the cop until he was unconscious and got away.

10. stopthemadness101 - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Price will never sign with the Wankees. He’s seen what douc.hes their fans are. To assume you can just throw money at him and he’ll shave his beard is typical wankee fan arrogance. Those free spending days are over chumps.

• bolweevils2 - Feb 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I’d say that “typical wankee fan arrogance” has a good chance of being correct.

11. louhudson23 - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM

The point is whether or not you want to play for the New York Yankees or someone else. Deciding where you live an play based purely on dollars misses the entire point of having wealth. Working for who and where you personally desire is a condition that cannot be evaluated in dollars. If 10’s of millions isn’t enough,then nothing is enough. Play the game,enjoy it,enjoy your life and get wealthy doing it. Or go to a team and place purely for money and then start to plot your next move all over again is a sad state of affairs.

12. navyteach - Feb 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Price is a horse and he has thrived in the AL East for years. He will set the bar for pitchers. He can choose where he wants to go and if it means that he doesn’t want to play for the Yankees because of their rules he can play elsewhere.

FYI David – The Red Sox have no such rules and would love to have you at the top of the rotation!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5481)