Feb 20, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Reds right-hander Johnny Cueto was hoping to represent his native Dominican Republic in next month’s 2013 World Baseball Classic. But it’s not going to happen:
Reds exercised right to disallow Cueto’s participation in WBC as he finished on DL. Despite his desire to play, he respects their decision.
— Bryce H. Dixon (@brycehdixon) February 20, 2013
That tweet comes from Cueto’s agent, Bryce Dixon, of the Primo Sports Group.
Cueto suffered a minor right oblique strain during his NLDS Game 1 start against the Giants. He has been fully recovered from that injury for several weeks, but the Reds want to keep him in camp all spring.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 43
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)