Feb 20, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Reds right-hander Johnny Cueto was hoping to represent his native Dominican Republic in next month’s 2013 World Baseball Classic. But it’s not going to happen:
Reds exercised right to disallow Cueto’s participation in WBC as he finished on DL. Despite his desire to play, he respects their decision.
— Bryce H. Dixon (@brycehdixon) February 20, 2013
That tweet comes from Cueto’s agent, Bryce Dixon, of the Primo Sports Group.
Cueto suffered a minor right oblique strain during his NLDS Game 1 start against the Giants. He has been fully recovered from that injury for several weeks, but the Reds want to keep him in camp all spring.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (127)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)