Feb 20, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Reds right-hander Johnny Cueto was hoping to represent his native Dominican Republic in next month’s 2013 World Baseball Classic. But it’s not going to happen:
Reds exercised right to disallow Cueto’s participation in WBC as he finished on DL. Despite his desire to play, he respects their decision.
— Bryce H. Dixon (@brycehdixon) February 20, 2013
That tweet comes from Cueto’s agent, Bryce Dixon, of the Primo Sports Group.
Cueto suffered a minor right oblique strain during his NLDS Game 1 start against the Giants. He has been fully recovered from that injury for several weeks, but the Reds want to keep him in camp all spring.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)