Feb 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Ramon Hernandez getting hurt last season opened the door for Wilin Rosario to become the Rockies’ starting catcher and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com indicates that they’d like to trade Hernandez.
Colorado is also looking for some rotation depth, but it’s hard to imagine being able to get anything for Hernandez aside from some salary relief. He’s owed $3.2 million at age 36 and coming off an injury wrecked season in which he hit .217 with a .601 OPS.
If they can dump Hernandez somewhere the Rockies could turn to Yorvit Torrealba as Rosario’s backup.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The Lester trade is a win-win 87
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 147
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (147)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)