So much for Rafael Furcal not being limited by elbow injury

Feb 20, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

Rafael Furcal Getty Getty Images

Five days ago Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com wrote of Rafael Furcal that “the club does not anticipate the shortstop having limitations because of his right elbow.”

Today the St. Louis Post Dispatch has an article about Furcal’s status under the headline: “Elbow continues to limit Furcal.”

So much for that, I guess.

Derrick Goold writes that Furcal “has yet to let loose a throw at full strength and has been slowed by an irritation in his right elbow.”

Furcal is already saying stuff like “I prefer to miss 10 or 15 games here in spring and not miss the first game of the season.” In other words, his elbow remains a major issue after sitting out September and the playoffs with a torn ligament and later opting for rest and rehab instead of Tommy John surgery.

1. ame123 - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I still laugh at people who thought the Cards got a better deal signing him after 2011 over going after Jimmy Rollins.

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM

2 years and $14M is way lower risk for an old SS than 4 yrs and $38M….which part of 38 being 2.7 times more than 14 don’t you get?

• ame123 - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

How about we compare production. 4.9 fWAR over 1.2 fWAR. What part of being 4.1 times more valuable in the first year don’t you get?

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I was talking about the risk. Obviously, at this point, the reward out weighed the reward. You can’t use hind sight to evaluate the quality of a decision….because if you use that approach to make future decisions you will make more poor decisions than you would by moderating risk. For example, you might wind up with an old expensive team, and a depleted farm system.

2. paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

The reports are that the inflammation is due to a bone spur….no idea why they don’t just go in to remove it now (or a month ago) since recovery is a few months…unless Furcal simply refuses to undergo the procedure…in which case, they may as well free up roster space and cut him now…..I seriously doubt a “let’s try to manage it” type approach is going to be productive.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hell no it isn’t going to work. Which is exactly why they should have have dealt with it towards the end of last season when it became obvious there was really no other choice.
      So there choice was…do nothing. Now…we get to look forward to Kozma at SS for an etended period of time. Wonderful!

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

“Now…we get to look forward to Kozma at SS for an etended period of time. Wonderful!”

I’m confused by the use of “wonderful” at the end of that statement. Kozma’s 2012 was driven by small sample size and a wholly unsustainable .421 BABIP. Nothing in his minor league history suggests he can at *at all*.

Pete’s year by year slash lines in the minors:

2007: .233/.313/.342
        2008: .258/.340/.361
        2009: .231/.302/.323
        2010: .243/.318/.384
        2011: .214/.280/.289
        2012: .232/.292/.355

That’s abysmal.

I certainly hope he ends up being good and that this post makes me look like a total idiot. But I really, really doubt it.

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM

It isn’t like there were any reasonable options. By all accounts Cleveland wanted way too much for Cabrera, who is a decent hitter but a horrible defensive player….and therefore, not much of an upgrade over a good glove no-hit SS. Fact is….there just aren’t many decent SS around right now….and the few available are way to expensive to obtain for the upgrade they represent.

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I’m in no way saying there are better options. Just saying the current option (should Furcal be out for an extended period of time) is absolutely not “wonderful”

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I hear you Paper. They would have certainly had to loosen the purse strings.
      Unlike you (and a few others)…I actually liked Stephen Drew. But he was expensive as well.
      Somebody’s gotta’ get paid. Otherwise you end up with a team full of Ryan Jacksons, Pete Kozma’s and Miguel Cairo’s.

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I like Drew….if they could have got him on a 1 or 2 year deal….that would have been great IMO.

3. stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Really Kirk? You didn’t sense any sarcasm whatsoever? Pete Kozma was promoted in spite of himself. They were so sour on Ryan Jackson…Pete got the call. At least that’s my take.
    Kozma caught lightening in a bottle in the playoffs and that was it.
    I am going to have to start referring to you as Mr. Obvious.

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I feel like I should defend him…but meh, Cards.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Meh, your meatloaf.

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM

There must be something wrong with you. I’ve never met a dude who didn’t like meatloaf.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Hahaha! Yeah…there is a definately something wrong with me. But it isn’t meatloaf related.

I know lot’s of guys who don’t dig meatloaf.
        They might eat it. But they don’t dig it.
        Specifically…they don’t come home and ask…”honey will you make some meatloaf tonight?”

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Cuz they haven’t had mine.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM

But you should know I will eat pretty much anything.
        Except Sushi. I can’t seem develop a taste for it. I have tried it several times.
        It’s rubbery. I chew it till’ my mouth hurts.

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Yeah, I don’t see Kozma continuing that production (and yes, I thought it was obvious sarcasm). I have no idea what Ryan Jackson did….did he piss in De Witt’s gas tank or something….he went from solid glove-first potential utility player to banishment to outer Mongolia (though I hear outer Mongolia is really nice in the fall).

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Jackson’s a mystery to be sure. I would like to get the take on him from someone local.
        You have family still in the area don’t you?

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Yeah, but not anyone whose opinion on something like Jackson I would trust….mostly, they are the type of fans that still pine for Eckstein and think Skip should have played 162 games….they love scrap and grit.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto