Video: Giancarlo Stanton was beaned during batting practice today

Feb 20, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT

The Marlins have one legit superstar left. And this is what happened to him in BP today:

The pitcher was Jose Fernandez. And unless Jeff Loria paid Fernandez to do this as revenge for Stanton’s critical comments following the big Jose Reyes trade, it was an accident.

Stanton says he’s OK. He said he didn’t experience any dizziness, but “saw a little greyness, fuzziness on the outside of my eyes.” He thinks he won’t miss time, but that will be determined tomorrow in all likelihood

1. cur68 - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Big fella walked off without a stagger. Still, that was a hell of a crack to the melon. I hope he’s ok.

2. vallewho - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM

My first thought was to blame Loria

3. psr179 - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I can’t imagine how disheartened he is this year compared to last year at this time. Has to be miserable being surrounded by a bunch of mediocre players and not being able to do a damn thing about it.

4. stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Yeah…high and inside. Just a tad.

• indaburg - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Who throws like that during a spring training BP at your one legit star?

Was he wearing the new helmets or will that start during the regular season?

• cur68 - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Seriously. That was WAY inside. I don’t know about on purpose to hit Stanton or not, but it was a surely ill advised pitch.

Fernadez is listed at 6’2′, 195.
        Stanton at 6’5′, 245.

Just on self preservation merit alone, that is too big a size differential to want someone mad at you for pitching them inside in a spring training game much less hitting them in the head with a baseball.

Fernandez must have a death wish.

• indaburg - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I read the article. Fernandez was all apologetic and the Iron Giant was very cool about it, but seriously, dude, work the rust off against someone else. Not that I want any player hit on the head by a 95 mph fastball, but you know what I mean.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Wonderful question Inda. In fairness to the pitcher…he is still working the rust off it appears.
        I would suggest they have someone else pitch the next session of BP.

• cur68 - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Yep. Read it too. Accident caused by sweaty hands and nerves. Handled well all the way around, too. With any luck, no harm comes of this.

5. bayballtim - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Wow, it looks like Loria splurged on renting a local little league’s practice field.

6. anxovies - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Looked intentional to me. I bet Loria slipped Jose a c-note.

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

No way, Loria is too cheap.

7. thebadguyswon - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Intentional

8. Old Gator - Feb 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I couldn’t bring myself to run the video.

Three of those five ticket buyers are checking with their lawyers to see if they can demand a refund.

• cur68 - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I presume the other two who are not seeking refunds are Fernadez’s parents?

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Or the Chihuahua’s kids. He’s just the type to make them go buy their own.

9. topprospect - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Where are the trainers?

10. riverace19 - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

This is the first in a disastrous series of on field events for the Marlins this year following their disastrous new stadium construction and off season trades, which resulted in disaster

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Pazuzu must have been exorcised from the Feather Lice.

11. mojosmagic - Feb 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Loria see’s $ signs. Have fans pitch BP and bean a star for a buck promo.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB