Feb 21, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The final rosters for next month’s 2013 World Baseball Classic were just revealed on MLB.com.
The only real big surprise is that first baseman Joey Votto is listed under the heading for Team Canada. He hasn’t fully committed yet to playing and probably won’t make that decision until the event draws a bit closer. The Reds have some mild concerns about his surgically-repaired left knee and would prefer that he remains in camp all spring, but they don’t have the power to tell him he can’t participate because he did not finish the 2012 season on the disabled list.
MLB.com notes that 45 different major league All-Stars currently appear on the submitted rosters.
The 2013 World Baseball Classic is scheduled to get underway on March 2, beginning with pool play.
The 16 baseball federations involved are Brazil, China, Cuba, Japan, Australia, Chinese Taipei, Korea, Holland, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Spain, Venezuela, Canada, Italy, Mexico and the United States.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11