Feb 21, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
The final rosters for next month’s 2013 World Baseball Classic were just revealed on MLB.com.
The only real big surprise is that first baseman Joey Votto is listed under the heading for Team Canada. He hasn’t fully committed yet to playing and probably won’t make that decision until the event draws a bit closer. The Reds have some mild concerns about his surgically-repaired left knee and would prefer that he remains in camp all spring, but they don’t have the power to tell him he can’t participate because he did not finish the 2012 season on the disabled list.
MLB.com notes that 45 different major league All-Stars currently appear on the submitted rosters.
The 2013 World Baseball Classic is scheduled to get underway on March 2, beginning with pool play.
The 16 baseball federations involved are Brazil, China, Cuba, Japan, Australia, Chinese Taipei, Korea, Holland, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Spain, Venezuela, Canada, Italy, Mexico and the United States.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)