Feb 21, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The final rosters for next month’s 2013 World Baseball Classic were just revealed on MLB.com.
The only real big surprise is that first baseman Joey Votto is listed under the heading for Team Canada. He hasn’t fully committed yet to playing and probably won’t make that decision until the event draws a bit closer. The Reds have some mild concerns about his surgically-repaired left knee and would prefer that he remains in camp all spring, but they don’t have the power to tell him he can’t participate because he did not finish the 2012 season on the disabled list.
MLB.com notes that 45 different major league All-Stars currently appear on the submitted rosters.
The 2013 World Baseball Classic is scheduled to get underway on March 2, beginning with pool play.
The 16 baseball federations involved are Brazil, China, Cuba, Japan, Australia, Chinese Taipei, Korea, Holland, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Spain, Venezuela, Canada, Italy, Mexico and the United States.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)