Feb 21, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals pitching prospect Carlos Martinez still hasn’t arrived at spring training in Jupiter, Florida because he has not obtained a proper work visa.
Strauss says the Cardinals front office has “no idea” when Martinez might show up. The talented young right-hander is already two weeks behind the club’s other pitchers, though he’s not in the running for an Opening Day roster spot and wouldn’t have been even if he had made it to south Florida on time.
Martinez, a 21-year-old Dominican, posted a 2.93 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 92/32 K/BB ratio across 22 appearances (21 starts) last season between High-A Palm Beach and Double-A Springfield.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)