Feb 21, 2013, 6:41 PM EST
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals pitching prospect Carlos Martinez still hasn’t arrived at spring training in Jupiter, Florida because he has not obtained a proper work visa.
Strauss says the Cardinals front office has “no idea” when Martinez might show up. The talented young right-hander is already two weeks behind the club’s other pitchers, though he’s not in the running for an Opening Day roster spot and wouldn’t have been even if he had made it to south Florida on time.
Martinez, a 21-year-old Dominican, posted a 2.93 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 92/32 K/BB ratio across 22 appearances (21 starts) last season between High-A Palm Beach and Double-A Springfield.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40