Feb 21, 2013, 6:38 AM EDT
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com has an in-depth interview with Dontrelle Willis. Who is still attempting to make it back to the bigs, even though his “comeback,” for lack of a better term, has now lasted longer than the actual productive part of his career.
The difference: Willis sounds relaxed and at peace these days. Far more than he was during his short and stormy stint with the Orioles last year or even his brief stops with the Phillies, Diamondbacks and Reds:
Willis has been working out at HoHoKam Stadium. He said he was told he’s been hitting 91-92 mph during his bullpen sessions, though he doesn’t put much stock in the JUGS gun or believe he needs to pitch with maximum velocity. He said it doesn’t matter whether he’s used as a starter or a reliever.
“Baseball’s like life,” Willis said. “You have to trust what you have. You are who you are and be happy. And if they don’t like it, f—‘em, you know what I mean? That’s what it boils down to. You have to be honest with yourself.
In addition to where he is today, Willis offers his memories of the 2003 playoffs, including the Steve Bartman game and walking in to Yankee Stadium for the World Series. Which, surprisingly enough, he said was way easier than dealing with Wrigley Field.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)