Feb 21, 2013, 6:38 AM EDT
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com has an in-depth interview with Dontrelle Willis. Who is still attempting to make it back to the bigs, even though his “comeback,” for lack of a better term, has now lasted longer than the actual productive part of his career.
The difference: Willis sounds relaxed and at peace these days. Far more than he was during his short and stormy stint with the Orioles last year or even his brief stops with the Phillies, Diamondbacks and Reds:
Willis has been working out at HoHoKam Stadium. He said he was told he’s been hitting 91-92 mph during his bullpen sessions, though he doesn’t put much stock in the JUGS gun or believe he needs to pitch with maximum velocity. He said it doesn’t matter whether he’s used as a starter or a reliever.
“Baseball’s like life,” Willis said. “You have to trust what you have. You are who you are and be happy. And if they don’t like it, f—‘em, you know what I mean? That’s what it boils down to. You have to be honest with yourself.
In addition to where he is today, Willis offers his memories of the 2003 playoffs, including the Steve Bartman game and walking in to Yankee Stadium for the World Series. Which, surprisingly enough, he said was way easier than dealing with Wrigley Field.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)