Feb 21, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
The Mets have already made plans for what happens if Frank Francisco has to begin the season the disabled list following a setback with his elbow injury, but he’s been cleared to start throwing again.
Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Francisco is scheduled to play catch Monday, which is the first step on his road back to closing for the Mets. Or at least setting up Bobby Parnell if he steals ninth-inning duties in the meantime.
Francisco had surgery in December to remove bone spurs from his elbow and is under contract for $6 million.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)