Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
Mike Rizzo spoke with Dan Steinberg of the D.C. Sports Bog. Most of the post is devoted to whether D.C. can ever become a baseball town. Rizzo seems to think it can, which is kinda crazy, but he’s the Nats’ GM so what else is he supposed to say?
This stuff about the Strasburg shutdown is more interesting to me:
I gave [Nationals ownership] all the facts that I had at my disposal, that helped me make my decision and my philosophy years ago, and they were totally on board with it. Really the only people that had a problem with it was the media, and really, largely, it was the national media. Because I think the local media was on board with it.”
Yes, the national media was critical (and the local media acted more like a propaganda arm than anything else) but is it really true everyone else was on board? I know the Nats-can-do-no-wrong contingent around these parts were fine with the Strasburg shutdown, but I don’t think it’s at all accurate to say that it was only the national media who took issue.
Eh, doesn’t matter. All that’s important is that the Nationals won the world series last year and likely will four or five times before Strasburg’s career is over.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)