Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
Mike Rizzo spoke with Dan Steinberg of the D.C. Sports Bog. Most of the post is devoted to whether D.C. can ever become a baseball town. Rizzo seems to think it can, which is kinda crazy, but he’s the Nats’ GM so what else is he supposed to say?
This stuff about the Strasburg shutdown is more interesting to me:
I gave [Nationals ownership] all the facts that I had at my disposal, that helped me make my decision and my philosophy years ago, and they were totally on board with it. Really the only people that had a problem with it was the media, and really, largely, it was the national media. Because I think the local media was on board with it.”
Yes, the national media was critical (and the local media acted more like a propaganda arm than anything else) but is it really true everyone else was on board? I know the Nats-can-do-no-wrong contingent around these parts were fine with the Strasburg shutdown, but I don’t think it’s at all accurate to say that it was only the national media who took issue.
Eh, doesn’t matter. All that’s important is that the Nationals won the world series last year and likely will four or five times before Strasburg’s career is over.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)