Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
Mike Rizzo spoke with Dan Steinberg of the D.C. Sports Bog. Most of the post is devoted to whether D.C. can ever become a baseball town. Rizzo seems to think it can, which is kinda crazy, but he’s the Nats’ GM so what else is he supposed to say?
This stuff about the Strasburg shutdown is more interesting to me:
I gave [Nationals ownership] all the facts that I had at my disposal, that helped me make my decision and my philosophy years ago, and they were totally on board with it. Really the only people that had a problem with it was the media, and really, largely, it was the national media. Because I think the local media was on board with it.”
Yes, the national media was critical (and the local media acted more like a propaganda arm than anything else) but is it really true everyone else was on board? I know the Nats-can-do-no-wrong contingent around these parts were fine with the Strasburg shutdown, but I don’t think it’s at all accurate to say that it was only the national media who took issue.
Eh, doesn’t matter. All that’s important is that the Nationals won the world series last year and likely will four or five times before Strasburg’s career is over.
- Report: Athletics close to a trade involving Jeff Samardzija 0
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)