Feb 21, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Mike Schmidt says an awful lot I agree with in this interview with Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com. He doesn’t like it when people are accused of using PEDs without evidence and he hates the guilt-by-association that is so common when the topic comes up. What’s more, he has no problem with Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens being in the Hall of Fame.
Yep, we’re really on the same page here. But I don’t think even I’d go this far:
“I would not have a problem with Bonds or Clemens,” Schmidt said at Phillies camp. “Here we are convicting them of PED use and we don’t know anything more than we read.”
Schmidt said he’d need to see “a legitimate failed test” to bar a player from election to the Hall of Fame.
“I don’t think anyone that failed a legitimate test should be in,” Schmidt said. “But I’d need to see a legitimate test to know if what we’re talking about was actual fact.”
I’ve read Game of Shadows. I think it’s safe to say that Barry Bonds took steroids, and I think we can say so without a test result. Clemens may be a bit more dicey, but I don’t think I’d choose to die on Roger Clemens Didn’t Take Steroids Hill in these PED battles we tend to have.
But really, I’d rather err on the side Schmidt is erring on than to fall in with the “eyeball test” crowd.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (106)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (95)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team