Feb 21, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Last season Josh Thole caught 27 of Dickey’s starts for the Mets and he’s the leading candidate to fill the personal catcher role this year after coming along with Dickey in the blockbuster trade, but Henry Blanco is also an option if the Blue Jays prefer him in the backup role.
Manager John Gibbons explained the logic behind using a personal catcher by telling Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com: “They have to get the [side sessions] in, they have to spend a lot of time working with Dickey, because it’s an unusual and unique pitch. It takes a lot of work.”
And of course no catcher starts 162 games anyway, so having a scheduled day off for Arencibia once every five games could be a positive thing. Arencibia started 91 games last season and 118 games in 2011.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11