Feb 21, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
One year after retiring as a player Ivan Rodriguez has another gig in baseball, as the Rangers announced today that he’ll rejoin the organization as a special assistant to the general manager, instructor, and ambassador.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that Rodriguez’s first duties will involve going to spring training next weekend, presumably to do some coaching.
“We went to a tryout game and he wanted so badly to instruct that we almost literally had to hold him back,” general manager Jon Daniels said in describing Rodriguez’s passion for the new role.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)