Feb 21, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
“I would never find Jimmy Rollins disrespectful,” he said. “I respect him too much. But if we were healthy all year, we might have won 120 games. But we’ll have a chance to find out this year.”
Which I don’t take at all to be Werth truly saying that the Nationals would have won 120 games. I take it — along with the comments of other Nats players — as a cute way of saying, hey, everyone has injuries, it’s part of the game.
I really do dislike it when players, managers, front office types, fans or whoever play the ” … if it weren’t for the injuries ..” game. Yes, injuries suck. And yes, injuries often prevent teams from doing as well as they might have if the injuries had not occurred. But injuries contribute to losses for every single team. If you hypothetically remove them from one team, as Rollins would have us do, you have to hypothetically remove them from the others as well.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (88)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)