Feb 21, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
“I would never find Jimmy Rollins disrespectful,” he said. “I respect him too much. But if we were healthy all year, we might have won 120 games. But we’ll have a chance to find out this year.”
Which I don’t take at all to be Werth truly saying that the Nationals would have won 120 games. I take it — along with the comments of other Nats players — as a cute way of saying, hey, everyone has injuries, it’s part of the game.
I really do dislike it when players, managers, front office types, fans or whoever play the ” … if it weren’t for the injuries ..” game. Yes, injuries suck. And yes, injuries often prevent teams from doing as well as they might have if the injuries had not occurred. But injuries contribute to losses for every single team. If you hypothetically remove them from one team, as Rollins would have us do, you have to hypothetically remove them from the others as well.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 87
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)