Feb 21, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Last week Tigers manager Jim Leyland said he was “totally shocked” and “broken-hearted” that Jose Valverde hasn’t found a new team. And, being the jerk that I am, I noted that if Leyland was truly “broken-hearted” he’d probably try to convince general manager Dave Dombrowski to re-sign Valverde considering the price tag certainly can’t be much at this point.
But that won’t be happening, as Lynn Henning of the Detroit News writes:
Tigers have been busy endorsing Jose Valverde in every fashion but one: They haven’t for a moment considered signing him.
This is like breaking up with someone, telling all your friends to date them because they’re really wonderful, and then changing the subject when asked: “Wait, why did you break up with them if they’re so great?”
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation