“All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again” — The Bartman Play Edition

Feb 22, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT

Bartman.standard[1]

The Bartman play was one-in-a-million.  Big, exciting game. Foul ball beyond third base. Cubs fielder poised to catch it and … the fan interferes. What are the odds of that ever happening again?

Actually: not too bad.  As they happened almost identically 19 years before.

Al Yellon of Bleed Cubbies Blue has the story and the video evidence. And, unless you’re a Cubs fan who simply can’t bear to think about the Bartman play, you’re gonna want to check it out.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

It’s not the interference that’s one in a million. It’s the whiny way the Cubs reacted by choking away the game after that happened that is one in a million. Had they won the game like professionals, there would be no “Bartman”.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Yup. And I would add – the Cubs were always refered to as “Loveable Losers”. Then they declared war on one of their own fans….which is not very “Loveable”….and if you take the “Loveable” out of “Loveable Losers”, you have the Cubs now are.

• El Bravo - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Gross. I agree with two Phillies Phans. Blegk…

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I hear ya….I had to yuck it up with some Natified Fans the other day….it’s tough, I feel ya bro

• derklempner - Feb 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM

The Cubs themselves never “declared war” on Steve Bartman; it was the fan base that did it.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I meant it in a collective sort of sense – and the fans are also refered to as Loveavle Losers. That said, I think the Cubs themselves could have done a lot more to make it clear and concise – there horrendous play cost them the game, period. Instead you have quotes like “I feel bad for the guy” – implying he did soemthign worng. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure that was not there intention. But they still could have done alot more to have the guy not go into the “witness protection” program, and they did not.

Clear and concise words right after the game “All that guydid was watch us blow a huge lead, period.”

2. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny, Cubsies.

• Gamera the Brave - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Thanks Gator, your comment caused my neocortex to overheat (which, interestingly, produces a “frying bacon” smell)…

3. Francisco (FC) - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Also, this was a regular season game right? Not the playoff game that if you win gets you to the World Series right?

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

My point being, as similar as the play was, the stakes were far higher in ’03. But the media and Cubs reaction was still over the top in 2003, no excuse for that.

• brewcrewfan54 - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM

The worst guy was the guy in the ESPN 30 for 30 movie about it who gladly went on tv and admitted to throwing his beer and hitting Bartman while yelling insults. The fact that he was so proud of himself should make everyone sick.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

The stakes are different but is this the first time since the Bartman game someone has actually brought this up because its the first time I’ve seen it.

5. cur68 - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I’ve always felt that The Cubs owed Bartman an apology. All those idiots who yelled at him and abused him do to. Everyone of us sitting in that spot on that play would have tried to catch that ball. Its what you do: wait for one coming your way and try and catch it. It is not only a matter of self defence, its protecting the people around you, reacting to a swiftly developing situation and, most of all, a freakin’ baseball is RIGHT THERE! How does any normal person lay off that?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

It wouldn’t have mattered…
      HAD THE CUBS’ SHORSTOP FIELDED THE GROUNDER PRIOR TO THE BARTMAN INCIDENT. Everyone seems to forget and/or gloss over that absolute fact.

• cur68 - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM

And there’s THAT.

6. weaselpuppy - Feb 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM

So say we all

7. flosox - Feb 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Craig, your freaking me out man…about 3 hours prior to this i heard this quote from Galbraith for the first time.

I didn’t know that Bartman and the Depression were one in the same; well, i guess if your a cubbie ;)

8. zipsports - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM

This Cardinals fan loves Steve Bartman. Only the Cubs can blame a fan (or a damn goat for that matter) on them not winning a championship. The Cubs are losers. They always have been, and they always will be.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB